So what do you do when you run out of things to automate?

Yep, you can spend as much or as little time as you want on these. I just installed them on my 85 year old mother's house and programmed them to turn on and off automatically for all the holidays throughout the year. They are awesome and she is thrilled that she doesn't have to touch anything.

1 Like

And every dollar you "saved"

1 Like

When this happened to me, I bought a motorhome.. now starting to automate that! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe it's just me, but there are always things I can improve in what I have automated so far.... whether that be lighting rules I have neglected or devices I haven't finished setting up. Kudos if you have dedicated and set aside the time to finish these tasks.

If you haven't already learnt a programming language like Groovy, or the options that CSS may present in a dashboard (if that is something you are interested in), perhaps they are areas you could explore. Expanding or improving the interface to your smart home is also another area that you could explore....

Otherwise, just enjoy the opportunity to revel in your "smartness", enjoying the time to help others, which you are doing in a number of examples already.

how about a light sensor to implement auto flush when you get up from the toilet? You can feel like your in an airport.

I consider pretty much all toilet automations to be TMI.

:wink:

4 Likes

Motion lighting "flicking a switch" would do that if the switch ran a rule for a valve ?

???? The UK is only like 500 miles across.... :wink:

(EDIT: Yes, I know you can get the RV to the mainland - I was trying to be funny. Picture a visual of someone putting a yacht in a small pond)

Open a Smartthings Museum

2 Likes

Add contact sensors to every cabinet door in the house, and broadcast "What are you doing?! Leave me alone, get out of here!!!" every time one is opened.

This will keep you busy in the following ways:

1. It will take a little while to set all this up
  2. You will have a seemingly endless conversation w/your wife and eventually w/your marriage counselor

:smiley:

1 Like

At least he didn't say a Caravan. I've never seen anything on the A1-M or M1 scarier than someone pulling a Caravan made so light it might as well be cardboard, filled with (apparently) 2 weekends worth of Bitter and a little Lager for the Mrs, pulled by a car that is undersized for towing a toy wagon at best, fishtailing its way down the road, operated by an insane driver gleefully looking forward to a weekend at a caravan park in a sheep field in the Lake district.

Adding automation to a Caravan, might just tilt one over the edge!

It's been 19 years since I lived in Yorkshire, but some memories never fade! Lol

S.

1 Like

Awesome visual in my mind. Lol

i went trhough that with the drier is done text.. I eventually turned it off as didnt want to end up at a marriage counselor.. We did settle on leaving the alexa in kitchen announcing it .... lol

1 Like

Twins! Wife and son took a "no negotiate" position on the reminder texts. To avoid getting voted off the island the texts were removed, and we rely on GH announcements.

Maybe you and I should move in together, and have our families live next door. :wink:

1 Like

I may have to start charging a entry fee for my Museum of Dead Technology. I have a whole section of home automation equipment. The bad thing is most of the really old stuff continues to work while the modern equipment requires so much infrastructure I would never be able to use again.