SNZB-02 update frequency

I have a SNZB-02 and am using the Hubitat driver, which is working... however, the update frequency is too long and I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might be able to change it.

It seems that it automatically reports once per hour-ish, or when there's a 1-ish degree temperature change.

I don't see any options for polling frequency, or similar, on the device page, so I'm assuming this is coded into either the Hubitat driver or firmware on the device. Hoping not the latter.

Any thoughts/suggestions/insight?

Thanks,
Matt

1 Like

If they're anything like the xiaomi aqara products, they most likely have it hard-coded into the device firmware.

@mike.maxwell I believe you recently wrote a device driver for the Sonoff SNZB-02. Do you happen to know if it's possible to configure the reporting interval for this device (irrespective of the device driver functionality)? My SNZB-02 is set to 5 minutes, and does not appear to report even after a significant state change.

Thanks

1 Like

It may be possible to add some options for these.

3 Likes

@mike.maxwell Thanks.

If you do revise the driver, any chance you could also include a relative humidity offset?

I'll trade you? I just came to post the same question, only to try and get it to not report humidity every 7 minutes.

I'm using The Oh-La Labs driver. At first it wouldn't register humidity at all, but after re-discovering and using the toolkit to wipe out any previous driver information, it's working TOO well. Batter will be dead in no time.

Just curious if you have an eta on the adjustable report with the SNZB-02 device.

I bought a five pack of these and have them all sitting together for the past month or so. They just report humidity on a regular basis. I am using built in driver on a C7.

I donโ€™t know what the threshold is for reporting temperature but itโ€™s definitely not usable for indoors.

Similar issues @mike.maxwell , The Temps start okay, report every ~5 mins then the intervals jump to 15 mins and 30, then no go. All the while the humidity is pumping out data regularly every 5 mins.

I tried the toolbox with oh-la labs, not really any better

1 Like

Iโ€™m looking for a way to offset humidity too.

Hi Folks,

Is this thread still active? I too recently purchased the SNZB-02 and would like a way to change the reporting frequency of at least the temperature. Currently it appears there needs to be a minimal change of X deg. but it wont report no less then 5 mins apart. It would be nice if that was adjustable. I have read in another thread that someone reached out to Sonoff and they said it was hub dependent not the device, so i assume that means the driver can be written to configure the device? @mike.maxwell

That's correct.

Currently, the built-in "Sonoff Zigbee Temperature/Humidity Sensor" driver configures during the pairing process the Minimum Reporting Interval to 300 seconds.

According to the ZigBee Cluster Library Specification :

...2.5.7.1.5 Minimum Reporting Interval Field
The minimum reporting interval field is 16 bits in length and SHALL contain the minimum interval, in seconds, between issuing reports of the specified attribute.
If this value is set to 0x0000, then there is no minimum limit, unless one is imposed by the specification of the cluster using this reporting mechanism or by the application.

The above means in our case : "do not send any new measurements updates if less than 5 minutes has elapsed since the last report! (even if the temperature has changed by 20 degrees or humidity has increased y 50%! :frowning: )

I would suggest the minimum reporting interval for SNZB-02 to be hardcoded to 10 seconds, which seems to be the device internal measurement cycle period.

4 Likes

Thanks for that information! Some real data to backup what I thought. I think the Sonoff has potential to be very popular due to the price point. If we could configure it to our needs it would be more useful to a wider range of consumers on HE.

2 Likes

If I recall this device ignores reporting parameters, hence it not having any preferences to set.
You could verify this by replacing the current driver with the Generic Zigbee Motion Sensor driver, selecting a new temp reporting preference, saving that, then reverting to the sonoff driver.
In this case do not click configure between driver changes.

Sonoff devices aren't certified by the CSA so you can throw the spec out the window for these guys...

If I recall this device ignores reporting parameters, hence it not having any preferences to set.

No, the reporting parameters are accepted by the device - see this screenshot

Sonoff devices aren't certified by the CSA so you can throw the spec out the window for these guys...

Sad but true..

I can look at adding preferences to this driver, keep in mind that increasing reporting frequency will decrease battery life...

3 Likes

Good information Mike! Let me give that a go.

No certification = no controlled spec...I hear ya, and maybe why they are so cheap. However, looking at Github and some other platforms they have seemed to nail down how to change it.

I gave this a go, and it's still reporting only every 5 mins and not on degree(s) of change.

Following from the sidelines here... the 5-minute humidity interval works OK for my bath fan (better than nothing!), but if I could get that down to 2 or 3 minutres without hammering the battery too hard, I'm definitely interested!

1 Like