SMS Notifications Stopped Working

I set up a rule to send an SMS message when a switch turns off. It isn't sending messages anymore. I tried setting it up as a Rule, a Trigger, and a Triggered Rule. None of them worked.

Have you by chance reached the 10 SMS per day limit?

If yes, switch to Pushover, which sends Notifications instead of SMS.

No, I haven't gotten any today and I tested sending an sms from my wife's phone so SMS is working on my side.

@sh1 Hubitats SMS has a limit of 10 SMS messages sent per day. If you've reached that you will not get anymore messages. What @csteele is saying is if you want to send more than 10 then setup pushover and it will send notifications instead of SMS messages. (sorry if you understand this - just making sure)

Nevermind, I checked the error logs and I wasn't putting a + in front of the country code. It might be worthwhile to put that note in the field where phone numbers are entered.

3 Likes

While migrating my water sensor from Lowe's Iris which connected fine. I tried testing it along with my siren (wrapped in a towel) and it did send SMS alert. I tried to see if I could cancel it from the phone and typed "cancel". Somehow this blocked me from getting anymore SMS messages. I don't think I've hit my 10 per day. Any thoughts?

I don't think I'll go over 10 messages per day except during my initial setup for devices. Is there a small subscription where I can increase the messages per day?

I'd continue to suggest using Pushover.

You visit pushover.net to get an account and that gives you a user 'token' (long long random letters and numbers) and add in the devices that will receive the notification.. phone/tablet, etc. Then you create an application and it responds with an app 'token' (the 2nd long long random letters and numbers.)

Back on Hubitat: Devices: Add Virtual Device

Device Name: Pushover
Device Network ID: psh01 <-- example: (can be anything UNIQUE)
Type: Pushover Driver

Click Save Device

In Preferences for the device you just created:
Paste the Tokens in their respective fields.. user token in User Key; app token in Application Key

Click Save Preferences.
That's it, you're done creating -- time to start using your new Pushover notification system. Simply swap to using the Pushover device in the Rules where you are using SMS.

Pushover is FREE for the first week. If you like it, and I'm predicting you will.. you pay a once only $4.99 to get 7500 notifications per month.

5 Likes

I will go ahead and try pushover. Net but I did something to the phone when I replied cancel. I was trying to cancel the water leak alarm hoping it would shut it off but somehow I cancelled receiving text messages. I waited 24 hours and it did not come back. So I know that it's not a 24-hour limit for texting. Any thoughts on how to re-enable the texting after I replied cancel?

If you open live logging and can then do something that with invoke a SMS message, it should show up in the logs what is going on.
Make sure you have logging on though for the rule that sends the SMS message.

Thank you for this very clear and concise set of instructions. I was able to get my pushover notifications working perfectly using these instructions.

2 Likes