Smoke detector

Hi, which smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are the best to get, which could connect to the hubitat, and which can sync together? Like auch announce location or all go off when one gotta off. I looked into the Google next protect, but they are like $119. I am kind of wanting one which is smart.

And maybe where I can use an app, or Alexa or google to turn them off when it is a false alarm, like steam from the shower or cooking bacon.

What do you currently have for detectors?
If they are not in need of replacement you could just add this device: https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Wireless-Detector-existing-FF-ZWAVE5-ECO/dp/B071Z8NM8N

In my case, mine were very old and due to be replaced, but they are all hard wired and interconnected. I liked the simplicity (and cost) of that so I just got some new First Alert combo interconnected hard wired detectors and added the ecolink Firefighter to bring the status over to Hubitat. Since they all go off together one ecolink device on the main floor will get any alerts.

I have never seen any that you can clear the alert from the hub, it may not even be an option in the zwave spec.

3 Likes

I don't have any. I used to have the kiddie ones, but they would just go off randomly. So I need to replsve those.
I need for 3 bedrooms, hallway, top of the steps to the basement, a room in the basement, and one where the washer and dryer is. I need to put it further away from the furnace.
They is only one in the Kirchen which I want to replace.

Oh I need battery ones. I don't have any wires

The best smoke detectors to work with Hubitat I have ever found are/were Halos. They went out of business a long time ago now though and I need to replace them as they expire (my last ones will be gone soon). Trying to salvage them for other purposes... I also had a Nest Protect (bought one when they first came out) but was never really happy with it for the extra cost and replaced it with a Halo once it's time came up.

Anyways... I am replacing them with First Alert Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide detectors. They are battery powered. However, they do not interconnect... so that does not appear to meet your criteria.

1 Like

I can live with the not interconnected. That would be nice. I know the Google protect do, but for $119 for each, that is a bit heavy on my wallet

I'm using First Alert Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide detectors. I use Webcore to turn on all of the lights and send Pushover alerts telling me which device has triggered. I have one that reached EOL recently. It would beep when there was steam coming out of the bathroom. A new replacement seems to handle steam well and doesn't do that.

1 Like

Yeah. What bugged me most about the Protect was the "closed garden" aspect to it. It promised all these nice sensors in an easily ignored package that would be easily integrated. But then Google bought them... and access to those sensors was limited. I could not justify it for the price at that point.

Halo came in with a ton of sensors and a more reasonable price ($50). Plus it all worked directly with Hubitat (and still does).

Thank you for all the information. I think I will go with the first alert. They seem to work good

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.