Smoke detector advice

I have a bunch of Kidde wireless interconnected smoke alarms. The original release had some bugs. I found through trial and error and replacing them in conjunction with tech support that you really need to set one unit up as the main and use it to pair all of the other devices. It should be centrally located. Since I did that, no more false alarms or alarm failures. The centrally located detector is the only one that I use to pair any new or replacements to the system.
Now that I have a Ring Alarm, I might just use listeners to trigger an alarm. Since smoke alarms are supposed to be trashed every ten years, an option like Nest gets pretty expensive.

I tend to disagree with this blanket policy of every detector must be trashed after 10 years. The fact is the photo-electric detectors have nothing in them that’s going to go bad after this arbitrary 10 year mark. Nest Protect has two different types of photo-electric detectors so it can detect both fast and slow burning fires.

The ionizing smoke detectors do have a mildly radioactive element in them that is less effective after roughly 10 years. The problem is, because people may not know the difference, they just lumped them all together and made it law. It’s an additional blight in our planet with all these wasted devices every year that are still perfectly functional, and throwing all types out is largely unnecessary.

2 Likes

Actually it in the state law here it is mandatory. Additionally, any battery operated one has to be tamper proof. They are now programmed to stop functioning after 10 years. That will soon be the national standard. There is a decay of the radioactive material in ionization types. I agree that photo cell version are ok. But the code is the code.

1 Like

Yes I know it’s mandatory. Don’t like it is all. Waste for the sake of sales under the guise of safety. Only the ionization type should be enforced in my opinion.

1 Like

So I am confirming that Nest still does with Hubitat? the only reason I am asking is to confirm since I heard that "Works with Nest" things I heard some bad things? Should I go some other route?

It will work with pre-existing integration but not a new integration. I however wired the Nest Protect into a NodeMCU board to integrate it.

Nest protects will work if you have apple products and can install the maker api for homebridge by Dant. I recently introduced a new protect successfully.

1 Like

Does anyone here us the Ring Smoke Detector?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.