SmartThings now permanently offline

What happens is when i go to pair the lock (and this could be the Yale itself) it sees the unit, says it is complete, but the device in Hubitat never shows as communicating.
I can put in codes, but because the device wont respond, nothing happens and they just fail.

What @SmartHomePrimer said and.. I see: "never ends up finishing"

LCM is a Manager for Codes on a Lock.
LCM does not manage locks, it manages the codes that they save.

If you have a static lock code situation LCM doesn't bring much to the picnic. It allows you to change codes, but if you're not changing codes (or adding for a cleaning person, nanny, etc) then why fight with LCM?

You first need a LOCK fully, and properly working in Hubitat. And "never ends up finishing" makes me wonder if you do.

Locks MUST pair securely. If they pair, non-secure, you get the symptoms you describe.

So that's a joining issue or pairing issue (not sure if you have Z-Wave or Zigbee lock). That's nothing to do with LCM.

1 Like

Thanks, i never said LCM was my issue, it is defintely the unit itself and i bet it doesnt pair securely.
We have a maid who comes once a week and I like to schedule their code access to just the time and day they arrive, i also add and schedule visitors. For example we have friends coming in from Wisconsin in December, its good to create them a code, send it to them, have it activate when they land at the airport, and have it disable/delete when they leave to go back home.

I love my Hubitat, just a few things i need to sort out. The lock is a YRL-220, I am going to go do some more research on how it pairs.

zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true

You need to see that in the Data row of the table at the bottom of the device page.

11%20AM

I don't see YRL-220 in any search results here.. so maybe you're the pioneer :slight_smile:

Oh, and @SmartHomePrimer question is important: ZWave or Zigbee.. because I just gave you a ZWave answer. :frowning:

Sorry. I misinterpreted your saying it doesn't work with Lock Code Manager. If it's joining securely (pairing is a Zigbee term), then you'll see 0x98 in the InClusters under the DATA field of the driver. I see this with my YRD256.

Thanks, no worries at all.

My unit is Z-Wave, i can buy a ZigBee module for the unit, i wonder if their Zwave module doesnt support the secure feature.

1 Like

I think people are having more issues with the Zigbee module. I'm not certain, but I think your lock and mine probably use the same Z-Wave module. Mine is working great. Maybe your lock has an older version of the module? Is it Z-Wave Plus?

The ZWave spec is pretty specific about Barrier Devices. Garage Door Openers and Locks are common examples of Barrier Devices.

The spec says, (paraphrased) if they don't join securely :slight_smile: they must not do anything. And that's certainly the most common comment I've been seeing over the past few months, related to Locks. "My lock paired just fine, but it won't respond to anything." Yep. That's what Barrier Devices are expected to do when not securely joined.

Therefore, I would begin with... the manufacturer (Yale) knows the spec and has a secure ZWave module in your lock.

my thoughts as well, I have a support ticket into them to verify that it joins securely.
It will join my SmartThings hub immediately,

Garage Door opener is on your list, but you don't mention brand, etc. However, it's the same type of device, probably, A Barrier Device and must securely join.

There are two elements to secure pairing: 1) whisper 2) beaming.

Once upon a time, to prevent Man-in-the-middle problems, they lowered the radio transmit power such that the hub to device distance was inches. The idea was, some bad character out on the street, couldn't sniff the secure key, when the power was so low, during the join.

Obviously that has practical problems since the Assembly Instructions for most Locks begin with "Mount this on your door" -- forcing you to find a 100' Ethernet cable to get the hub close enough.

Beaming was created for battery powered devices, you can't have a battery powered device with the radio on most of the time. You won't have any battery life that way. :slight_smile:

"Z wave introduced beaming to address this. A nearby mains-powered device, typically a wired wall switch or plug-in pocket socket, will keep repeating the same message to the lock until it is received. So it is the wired device that is using power. This ensures that as soon as the lock wakes up to check, The message will be available. "

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Beaming

BTW, you can do all this with LCM. You just need to get the lock working. Here's the module for my lock and the module for your lock. They say they're not interchangeable in the Amazon description (if correct). Yours appears to not be Z-Wave Plus.

Maybe their's a firmware update from Yale? Can it be sent to the lock via SmartThings if there is one?

I did my Harmony remotes this last week and it's way more awesome in HE than ST!

How do you setup LCM to enable a code for specific repeating days (like every two weeks on Wednesday) and time (morning hours only)?

Oh sorry, you're right. The repeating schedule is not yet available. @mike.maxwell did say this in another post. I should have looked at LCM first.

Oh no worries, I just got excited for a sec and tried to figure it out and couldnt which is why I had to ask...looking forward to that feature because I think thats a critical component to making sure transient lock users are properly contained.

It's back on... Testing my Samsung button on ST as that's what it was made for...
Trying to prove if it's something with Hubitat...
Maybe range... That'd be pretty sad if so... It's so close....

My ST hub went in the mail to a new owner Wednesday. Bye Felicia!

2 Likes

I tried pairing my Schlage BE469 and BE468 Zwave locks the other day with similar results. I reached out to @bobbyD in support and he is working with engineering to see what can be done.

My ST is totally shut down now too. Keeping it around for firmware updates to some devices since I'm not sure that HE supports that yet.

1 Like