Smartthings Multisensors Draining Batteries

Hi,
I have 6 Smartthings Multisensors (show as multiv4 in device info, devices are using Smartsense Multi Sensor V4 driver by default, product number is F-MLT-US-2) where 4 are used with the magnetic strip as contact sensors on doors and 2 are used on garage doors as tip sensors. The 2 on garage doors are functioning fine with the settings below
The issue I have with the other contact sensors is that the batteries are only lasting a month or so right now. Last battery change was 31 days, previous was 41 days, before that it was 22 days. The doors are not used everyday, sometimes only opening once a week. What I am seeing in the logs is a constant acceleration sensor update from the sensors.

On the garage doors you can choose to shutoff the acceleration events but it seems that it is on by default when garage door use setting is set to off.

Couple questions:

1. Am I using the right driver for these sensors? I searched the community and havent found anything specific to which drivers I should be using.
  2. Can I disable the acceleration reporting on the contact sensors for the dooors?
  3. Any other ways to improve the battery life?

Something to consider...
If a device is right at the edge of your zigbee mesh, then it may well use up the batteries quicker.
This is because it is constantly sending out signals to find the mesh/hub.
It is never allowed to ‘sleep’ (which is what most battery devices do to conserve battery)

I would consider adding a repeater or two somewhere close to the sensors if you don’t already have them.
My ST contact sensors have lasted 6 months so far (even on the front door)

Andy

1 Like

@Cobra, agreed on the mesh strength. How would I tell if this was happening? Anything in the logs show this?

This might give you an idea...

Http://your-hub-ip-address/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

It is interesting to see what is being recorded here.
Note: not all battery devices will show up at the same time

Andy

There are quite a few threads that explain what all this means and how to interpret the data shown

Also.. some signal strength is show here (it a log which will take a while to show everything...

Http://your-hub-ip-address/hub/zigbeeLogs

Andy

So if I am reading this correctly, @Cobra.

According to this Zigbee Logs - Hubitat Documentation, the link quality is good but the signal strength is low? It says closer to 0 but the values are -100 to 127, I assume that closer to -100 would be bad?

I usually work on -80
Anything above that (I know it’s technically below - if it’s -90 then I call it above) and I try to do something about it :slight_smile:

@Cobra, I moved around a few plug in switches and now everything is below -75, (well technically closer to 0). Even after the change there are 3 sensors losing battery and reporting X,Y,Z status every 30 minutes, more often than the temperature reporting. Can I shutoff the acceleration sensor if I am using the contact block?

If you are using the version 5 of the ST sensor with the correct driver then yes, you can disable the 3 axis reporting
But I'm not sure about the others

I only have these options. I have version 4. I know that when selecting Yes for the garage door option it stops looking at the mag contact.

Maybe ill try the V5 driver and see if it will function on the V4?

I have the multisensor and v5 driver with axis reporting disabled and I can still see x,y,z coordinates being reported frequently. I guess that option is not effective.

Battery draining fast over here.