I like knowing when the mail is here, so I've had a sensor in place in my mailbox for a while now, but it was a Wyze contact and I've jumped off the Wyze bandwagon recently.
I wanted to improve on my original design, mainly that the body of the contact was JB Weld'ed into place, which wasn't very serviceable when it came time to replace the battery. Today's project solves the serviceable part as there is no adhesive in play.
So I picked up a Peanut Plug and a SmartThings MultiPurpose Sensor (V5) off Amazon then while at the store picked up a box of Tic-Tacs.
Please note that my mailbox is a double walled plastic model, it seals well and I have no concern about direct water contact on the Samsung.
Need drill, Dremel tool, the empty Tic-Tac container, few short pan head screws
Here is the sensor and the empty container.
The container is perfect because the sensor pressure- fits in there nicely!
Using the drill bit attachment in my Dremel set, I cut out these corners so the magnet part of the sensor could slide in.
I then cut the container in half so I could have a holder for the body of the sensor
I then drilled some holes for the screws to hold the container-pieces in place. Since my mailbox is double walled I am just using screws short enough to not penetrate the outer wall.
If I need to replace the battery in the body, it's a simple matter of sliding out down and free from the Tic-Tac container.
When in place, my mailbox is about 50-60 feet from my garage front corner. Plugged in right on the inside part of that corner is the Peanut plug so hopefully it will provide a stable mesh connection for the Samsung sensor
Here is the working result (mailbox back out at the street)
I love these Samsung sensors, they are so flexible in many uses!