SmartThings finally announces dates for the sunset of the Classic App, and more

I suspect it will be mostly dead (*) 6 months after they discontinue the Groovy IDE.

(*) and I don't think Miracle Max will help.

4 Likes

I like what you did there :wink: Great movie!

1 Like

RIP Classic app...

Looks like ST finally shut down the Classic app and that part of the platform in the past 24 hours.

4 Likes

RIP myself and my smartthings account.

Fannies.

4 Likes

Combatative?

Sounds even worse than combative.

No wonder they banned you :upside_down_face:.

4 Likes

Haha. You reminded me of the time I worked a sporting event in the UK and we gave something like this to the volunteers and called them "Fanny Packs" as we do in the States. Big Mistake!!!!!

Edit: That's the same event that I learned that my nickname, "Nutter", is slang in the UK.

1 Like

Haha.....yes, the old arse/vagina mixup =p

I think my banishment was mainly due to this:

Nutter? Probably something to do with bumbags =)

9 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, I laughed when I read your post on the ST community and laughed harder at the next guy to post taking offense.

And evidently, "Nutter" means a crazy person. The jury is still out if that is an accurate description of me.

2 Likes

"Nutter" is probably one of the most socially acceptable surname-related nicks. Could have took a different route =p

Thanks for clarifying that not everyone thinks I'm so "combatative". Seems there's not a lot of room over there of late for anything but blind admiration.

Hey ho. =)

1 Like

With all of the outages lately, I am surprised they have time to look at content of posts..... Just sayin...

3 Likes

Yeah, the tech support is pretty awful by the sounds of it. Far worse then it was before the (fairly obvious) staff cuts / redeployment.

From what I can gather, people are creating tickets via the official channels, waiting weeks, getting absolutely nowhere. It's absolutely useless by the looks of things.

If/when they end up posting on the forum.... asking "wtf?", then one of the regulars generally tags one of the small team of smartthings staff who unofficially frequent the forum. Who then seem to helpfully intervene and pick up the ticket if they can.

It's a mess. But the die hards insist everything is working ace, and the almost-daily outages aren't really affecting many people. Some going as far to claim that THIS platform isn't quite as good as many of the ex smartthings people (Eg me) say that it is...and that many of the people who left en-mass have slowly ("quietly") returned to ST after finding the grass wasn't greener.

Absolute load of old bollocks.

Still. Very, very happy here.

cheers

1 Like

It sounds like they might be axing webcore over there too..... or are they thinking it's totally going away?

At their last developer conference WebCore was front and center.

I may be wrong, but from what I can pick up, webcore as you know it will be axed on the ST platform. There's a lot of noise, but that's what I suspect it boils down to.

Yeah, I quite like the grass over here, especially since ST seams to be burning theirs to the ground. I guess some people like burnt grass.

2 Likes

that was 2019. In a nutshell, it seems that the plan was to have the community (not samsung) do a lot of work to get it working. Which doesn't sound feasible in the slightest. Instead they'll have a very basic version of something akin to WC, then they'll pull the plug on groovy. So real WC dies, and ST users are left (again!) with a shocking approximation of what it used to be. After which ST/Samsung will be able to happily/carelessly state that "well.... you had your chance....not our fault".

Great soundbites to appease the masses though.

/ analysis

3 Likes