SmartThings Button - Duplicate Events

I am having a lot of problems duplicate events with all 14 of the SmartThings buttons throughout the house. which did not happen with SmartThings. If the button has not been used in a while (indeterminate amount of time), when it's pressed or held it will send exactly 2 events within about 1 second of each other. With ST, once in a while a first press wouldn't register, but they were otherwise solid.

It's not a mesh issue that I can tell because the problem happens anywhere across the 4k square feet of the my system covers. The hub is using channel 21, all 4 nodes of my Eero system are using WiFi channel 1, my Arlo's using channel 1 and channel 3 for each base, and my tenant's WiFi is on channel 5. None of these overlap significantly with Zigbee channel 21. SmartThings with a few remaining devices is on channel 15.

My previous issue with Zigbee devices dropping has stopped. I'm attributing that to the Zigbee mesh undergoing a lot of self-healing from the influx of devices. I've now got 42 pocket sockets (SmartThings & Iris) scattered throughout the house, only one Lightify light strip.

None of my other battery powered are missing events or are sending duplicate events. Just the buttons.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem with these buttons and with other Zigbee devices when they wake up. I have repeaters in every room and I've tried various Zigbee channels and turning off all the WiFi routers but nothing helps me.

So I just went through an interesting ordeal.
SmartThings device firmware updates are bundled with the hub.
ST confirmed there were firmware issues.
I had to ask a friend with a newer hub to connect the button and update it.
He enabled Zigbee OTA and confirmed there was a newer firmware version via the IDE.
After a couple of hours it updated.

Testing to see if it resolves my sleep state issues.

There some talk on the SmartThings Facebook group on this same issue. I do t think it’s nevessarily Hubitat related.

However, I do wonder if the SmartThings DTH has some false triggering filtering built in. If the firmware update doesn’t solve the issue, it shouldn’t be too hard to write an app to act as a filtering proxy.

Looking forward to the results of your test...

1 Like

The Securifi Almond button had this exact problem so I modified the driver to do just that. Pretty easy to fix.

Any update on your testing? I wrote a quick Button Proxy App that proxies events from physical buttons to virtual buttons, ignoring repeat events occurring over a period of time. It has solved the issues with my buttons. However, given the choice, I'd rather have something less hack-ish.

Thanks.

It might not be related to your duplicate even issue, but my button has been responsive since 12/23 after the firmware update from a clearance SmartThings Hub V2.
I wouldn't quite count this as concluding my testing, I'd like to see two weeks of responsiveness.

If you have a ST hub it's worth connecting it to it after you've removed it from HE just to update the firmware.
Don't think the firmware was ready to leave the oven on these bad boys.

SmartThings pushed out the update to those of us with v3 hubs which I have. I'm going to attempt to update one of my buttons and run it without a proxy to see how it performs.

In my case, the buttons are generally responsive, but spew out multiple events if they've been dormant too long.

My button had been dormant for a couple weeks, but I just tried pressing the button (it's still at my desk--I haven't found a use for it yet) and it only registered one event. I've had it since the beginning of September and ordered it within the fist few days of its release, so I imagine it probably has one of the earliest firmware versions there was.

After much effort in joining it to ST (I still have a v2 hub lying around)--it took minutes to pair and there wasn't much encouraging feedback from the button itself--I checked the firmware version, and here is what I see:

(or, to be more search- and screen-reader-friendly, my current version is 0x0000000B, and the target version is 0x00000011.)

This might not be that useful since even my current firmware seems to be working fine for me, but maybe there is hardware variation that causes problems on older (or all?) firmware versions or an intermediate firmware version that is problematic for some or all. In any case, I'll let mine update and see how it works on Hubitat after.

EDIT: Got it updated and paired back to Hubitat now. Hubitat discovered it as a "Generic ZigBee Moisture Sensor" instead of the Samsung Button. Are the inclusters the same or something? The model is "Button" so this should be easy to differentiate if Hubitat is able to use that (not sure it can as-is).

1 Like

That's the firmware I think I had. ST staff confirmed to me that The units getting stuck in a sleep state was a known issue fixed by the latest firmware. There are many 1 star reviews on Samsung's website with the same issue.

Odd how some aren't affected.

@srwhite @mlciskey, I have posted a modded driver that gives a workaround to the duplicate event issue. Please see below.

Has this ever been fixed in the packed driver on the Hubitat? I just received a C7 today and even after updating it, I still get duplicate events from my smartthings buttons. I had been using them on my smartthings hub for the last year without issue. They are up to date. Yet, still, I require your driver to snuff out the duplicate events (good work by the way @stephack).