SmartStart How long does it take?

That's what I do. I don't like the old smartstart device info hanging around in there after it is paired.

1 Like

These two devices are NOT included and are NOT showing in ZWAVE details?

I can remove them - but at the moment CLASSIC Inclusion hangs in a PENDING

And SMARTSTART just shows one a INCLUDED - PENDING and the other NOT INCLUDED - PENDING

Neither device is showing up in the zwave detail or in the Device List

I really wish Silabs would get their ■■■■ together this whole process is a pain in the butt.

Requiring you to press Remove wait 30 seconds and press again and again is ridiculous.

But made progress now removed 4 Ghost devices by just pressing the Remove button - with 30 seconds scroll back to the device and press Remove again and repeat and repeat and repeat and eventually the SiLabs 700 chip will allow the removal.

Could not Hubitat develop a work around that did a persistent Remove and say did it for 10 attempts, it would make this a lot less painful.

Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland) is working on it. Also, there was a SiLabs 700 chip firmware update a month ago, I suspect Bryan is checking that out, too, to see what bugs it has, and to see if it makes it possible to improve the pairing process.

I have been using zwave for 10 years, can't remember this amount grief from trying add something.

Certainly my experience of v7 Zwave is that it is a nightmare - it takes hours per device to include and many hours to clean up the mess it makes in Ghost devices.

Deeply regret getting a c7 hubs and should have gone for an older model hub that was reliable and waited until the basic bugs were ironed out.

Just these two sticky suckers left now.

4 down two to go.

Will try another reboot of the Hub see if that removes one.

It’s much better than it was at product introduction. Workarounds are known to remove ghost nodes. Once you get devices included and ghost nodes removed, it’s a usable product.

Oh dear it was WORSE than it is now!!!!!!!!!

Oh you have my sympathises......

I had no idea when I bought the C7s that they were still working on getting zwave inclusion stable..

In SmartStart - any idea what Not Included, Pending means?

I have scanned the QR code once but the SiLabs bug is causing the HE app to display the device 4 times.

All saying Not Included, Pending how do you move them to Included Complete?

Any ideas

SOLUTION

IT IS HUBITAT!!!

Spent 6 hours trying to connect three zwave Aeotec AERQ Temp Humidity Sensors.

Only got one working.

Took the Aetotecs to a friend who loaded them into their Home Automation system.

Took TWO minutes and they were added and working

Temperature
Humidity
AND DEWPOINT

So 6 Hours to get one sensor working in HE, without DewPoint.

2 mins to get TWO Sensors Included in another Home Automation system ALL functionality.

The issue is with HE!!!!!!!

And did that other system have a Z-Wave 700 series chip? Did that other system have the ghost nodes your hub has? The C-5 has a 500 series chip. Bet you are able to include on a C-5.

For your use case, you may want to switch to that other system. No system is perfect.

2 Likes

No the old one was 500 series, had another one before that can't remember.

I run one HE with the ZWave and the other with Zigbee and two Hue Hubs to manage the 100+ Hue devices

I have to re-think how I use Hubitat.

The zigbee side is working - and should be more reliable once I have the 4 new Ikea repeaters due next week,

I was hoping to run the Zwave HE just for the heating zone management and hot water, and a good pile of zwave plugs.

These new zwave temp sensors were there to ensure that the zwave heating system was self contained - ie each zwave heating zone had one zwave temp sensor - and one Hue Temp Sensor and One zigbee temp sensor, so there was some failover and fault tolerance.

The Hue and zigbee elements are inlace - just needed three battery powered zwave temp sensors for bathrooms and hot water.

The AEOTECs batteries have been destroyed by the marathon of attempted Inclusions into HE.

The one in HE is is at 90%, the two that wouldn't join HE are 70% and the last one is 1% but still working on the other HA system.

Those batteries aren't cheap so the day of repeated failure with HE has cost nearly £10 in degraded batteries.

Looks like I will have to move zwave functionality across to a Home Automation system that can do zwave more reliably and put in a MQTT into the Zigbee HE hub.

Then use the old zwave HE as a test tool.

I really like the idea of HE and it came SOOOOOOO close, but not being able to Include devices is a show stopper.

It can include devices. You just have to know how to do it, be patient, and know the workarounds. As they say, works fine for me. My original C-5 is used for testing and development, but is pretty much idle, with only a single device. My C-7, which is our production hub, runs fine. All Z-Wave except for a single SmartThings Zigbee contact sensor on our patio refrigerator door, plus the Hue devices on our Hue hub. In fact, I am expecting to receive my second C-7 today, which will sit in the box as a spare. The Hub Protect service arrived too late to be any help in migration, which I did manually.

1 Like

All evidence to the contrary today.

I have attempted. SMARTStart QR code, and manually adding details, and attempted 30+ times Classic Inclusion for each device.

Other zwave devices may be added, but the two, HE supported devices I spent hours today on won’t be added.

I have ordered £17 worth of spare batteries which should give me enough power to keep trying.

From what you have reported above, you still have ghost nodes messing up your mesh. Again, don’t expect proper operation until you get rid of them. Also, as others suggested above, remove the duplicate, failed SmartStart records on your mobile app.

Eh, I have 72 zwave devices on my C7.... It obviously CAN pair things successfully, and work quite reliably.

Sorry you had issues, but your experience isn't shared by everyone - not that that helps you any, of course.

My point is that blanket "it doesn't work" statements aren't universally true, even if it is for you/your hub.

And to be clear - I'm not arguing that everything is perfect in ZWave 700 land - it isn't. In my experience it definitely takes more work to get things working reliably than it does on the current versions of zwave 500 hubs.

1 Like

Understood.

It has been a long and painful day.

Made worse by 6 hours of repeated failures to get 2 supported devices included, followed by being able to add the same two devices to another home automation system with incredible ease and speed in less than 2 minutes.

I’ll get a windows machine up and running and get a zwave usb device on it and follow the instructions.

But Hubitat has to get on top of the Ghosting and inclusion issues.

1 Like

Sorry if I missed anything in the thread. Seems you started out a bit confused about the SmartStart process. Are you still confused about it or do you have it sorted?

You shouldn't have to wait for anything. Just scan, go to the next. They will include on their own in time (it is supposed to be within 10 minutes). That was SiL's intention anyway. In testing, it has worked this way for us.

If a device is showing "Not Included" in the SmartStart portion of the app and you remove it, it will not be included at all unless you scan the QR code again, or manually include it. However, if the device already shows "Included" and you delete it from the app, it is only removed from that list, but is not Excluded from the hub Z-Wave radio.

No confusion.

It just did not operate as advertised.

Its all in the thread - 6 hours + of reset to factory, HE Hub reboots, Cancel SMARTSTART, scan QR and dozens of failed Classic Inclusions.

The repeated failed processes created 6 Ghost devices that after a could of hours of pressing Remove and Hub reboots managed to get down to two Ghost devices.

The HE supported devices would not be Included.

But are easily Included into another Home Automation product - took less than two mins from boot up to Including both devices.

Now we are all agreed that the remaining Ghost devices are blocking Inclusions so I am in the process of getting a Windows PC and a USB Zwave controller so I can fix the HE screws ups and then I can start over.

Just out of curiosity, what was the other hub where SmartStart worked correctly?

Also, which Aeotec Gen 7 devices were these?