SmartStart How long does it take?

I’ve had the opposite experience when using it on Ring and Homeseer gear.

Scan the QR, modify the security (if permitted), plug in the device, go to the device page and rename the device, go back and remove the SmartStart entry.... ~5 minutes per device....

1 Like

DAMN it ANOTHER Zwave Ghost

I assume HE will clear up its mess at some point?

Good to know

So it just looks like the AEOTEC Gen 7 devices won't work with HE SMARTSTART.

Finally got the third Aeotec AERQ Included.

Performed and Exclude and Include again using Classic Inclusion and it went in.

All in all it took 10 Inclusion attempts before they worked and took 90 minutes.

So only 30 mins per Inclusion, would have been much longer had I attempted SMARTSTART any longer and did not fall back to CLASSIC Inclusion.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not.

If it doesn't go away on its own try to REMOVE it. Note that it will only remove if the original device CAN NOT be contacted - if the original device responds to a 'ping' during the removal process then it won't remove from the hub.

If it won't REMOVE from the hub, then you will likely need to get a usb zwave stick and use a Windows PC + the SiLabs PC Controller software and remove it from there. Lots of threads on how to do that on this forum.

1 Like

Unfortunately the Classic Inclusions with the built in Drivers do not work :slight_smile:

After two hours of 15 min reporting I am only getting a cascading battery level drop with one of the devices now showing 1% battery and the other dropped from 100% to 90% in 8 minutes and NO Temp or Humidity sensor readings at all.

Both are sat next to each other sitting 24 inches from a v5 Coolcam Pro socket (operating as a zwave relay) one of the devices reports 34 neighbours the other 27.

Looks like I have to exclude and re-include them again.

mmmm

A repeat of prior Classic Inclusion, HE gets stuck midway to adding a device.

So will require another exclude re-include again

All bets are off until you remove the Ghost devices that are messing with your mesh.

1 Like

Just looked at the guide you shared, thanks for that.

So if I am reading this right HE screws up adding devices and you are required to purchase a Windows computer and a zwave stick to undo the screw up that Hubitat is making?

Am I reading this correctly?

So I am now in my 4th hour of trying the get three new HE Supported ZWAVE devices working on Hubitat.

1 Works, two are stuffed stuck in Hubitat Inclusion hell.

I have ordered a zwave stick and digging out a windows machine from the garage to see if there is a way to fix the mess that Hubitat is creating

While I wait for the Windows machine to catch up on a few years of updates and wait for Amazon to deliver a usb zwave stick reverted to the SMARTSTART process which, did successfully INCLUDE ONE of the THREE devices.

Having now scanned both QR codes once I now have this on the Hubitat App

So One of them is Included and PENDING (what no idea but it is pending)

The other one it reports THREE times stating NOT INCLUDED, and PENDING (again no indication of what is pending - perhaps Inclusion ?)

No. The problem is caused by the SiLabs firmware on the 700 chip. Hubitat just reports what the SiLabs API reports.

2 Likes

Once you have included the device it is safe (and IMHO best practice) to remove the SmartStart entries to reduce the clutter.

2 Likes

That's what I do. I don't like the old smartstart device info hanging around in there after it is paired.

1 Like

These two devices are NOT included and are NOT showing in ZWAVE details?

I can remove them - but at the moment CLASSIC Inclusion hangs in a PENDING

And SMARTSTART just shows one a INCLUDED - PENDING and the other NOT INCLUDED - PENDING

Neither device is showing up in the zwave detail or in the Device List

I really wish Silabs would get their ■■■■ together this whole process is a pain in the butt.

Requiring you to press Remove wait 30 seconds and press again and again is ridiculous.

But made progress now removed 4 Ghost devices by just pressing the Remove button - with 30 seconds scroll back to the device and press Remove again and repeat and repeat and repeat and eventually the SiLabs 700 chip will allow the removal.

Could not Hubitat develop a work around that did a persistent Remove and say did it for 10 attempts, it would make this a lot less painful.

Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland) is working on it. Also, there was a SiLabs 700 chip firmware update a month ago, I suspect Bryan is checking that out, too, to see what bugs it has, and to see if it makes it possible to improve the pairing process.

I have been using zwave for 10 years, can't remember this amount grief from trying add something.

Certainly my experience of v7 Zwave is that it is a nightmare - it takes hours per device to include and many hours to clean up the mess it makes in Ghost devices.

Deeply regret getting a c7 hubs and should have gone for an older model hub that was reliable and waited until the basic bugs were ironed out.

Just these two sticky suckers left now.

4 down two to go.

Will try another reboot of the Hub see if that removes one.