SmartStart - Ghost

I'm experiencing a problem while trying to add a Zooz 800LR Power Switch to my system, even though I've successfully integrated another switch of the same model without issues. Initially, I attempted to add the switch using the standard method, but the process failed during bootstrapping and resulted in the creation of a 'ghost' device. I used the Z-Wave exclusion feature to remove the ghost device without any problems. After several more attempts, which all led to the same bootstrapping issue and creation of ghost devices, I had to remove these using a dongle and third-party software. I even noticed that adding the dongle created a ghost device, but I managed to remove it and unpair the dongle.

Now, I'm attempting to add the switch using the SmartStart feature, but I'm encountering similar problems. SmartStart indicates that the device has been included, but I cannot find the device in the system. Instead, in the Z-Wave details, I see a ghost device listed with a route but no name. Excluding the new switch results in a message 'Removed unknown device,' and the ghost device disappears.

I haven’t found any relevant information in the logs that could explain these issues. Do you have any insights into what might be causing this problem?

This revised text is organized and presents your issue clearly, making it easier to understand the sequence of events and the nature of the problem. If you need further assistance or specific troubleshooting steps, let me know!

You need to delete those smart starts for the removed devices. Otherwise they will keep trying to add them when they get removed. I went through this several months ago. Removing the smart start will NOT remove the device but it will keep it from trying to add if does not see it in the mesh.

Thanks. I noticed this after I posted. Every time I restarted the hub, I would have a new ghost device.

I’ve deleted them all and started over, and now the device in SmartStart has been sitting as pending for the last hour - nothing added in the Hub.

I will give it some more time before trying anything.

No luck. No ghost devices. The device will add but will not have a name. It will only show in z-wave details but not in devices.

What hub model?
What platform?
What Mobile App? (Android / iOS and what version) ?

You sure it does not have any errors when pairing?

First remove it from Smart Start.
Then clear out any ghost nodes (exclude device if that's what does the trick).
Then factory reset the device, and power it off totally.

Then Scan into Smart Start again.
Open the entry and check the grants and boot mode.
Grants you can leave at default, it should have both S2 Unauth and Auth checked, and possible S0 as well. This is fine.
Boot Mode MUST be "Smart Start", if it somehow got set to S2 Boot Mode that will not work.

Once you have confirmed that, then power up the device.

Thanks for the reply.

Model: C-8
Platform 2.3.8.140 (I rolled back and tried older firmware too)
App- iOS App Version 1.3.2

I have removed all ghost either by unpairing or z-wave PC controller. I have factory reset and unplugged the device.

I had warning about a zigbee device not reporting and corrected that. I also had an error for an API which I corrected too.

This morning I tried adding a zooz S2 Stick the traditional method.

The devices is found, I am asked how to add, secure or unsecure, I select add unsecure. after 60 seconds I receive the following message:

" Looks like you’re having trouble including your device. Please exclude it or perform a factory reset on the device before attempting to include it again. If the device still won't include after exclusion or factory reset, please review the best practices for building a solid Z-Wave mesh."

This is the same response I get with other zwave devices I add.

Logs show no warning. Just a debug message for a door lock:

I see all devices in Z-wave PC control, So I know the device is connected.

After the inclusion processes I will receive Z-wave feedback but I cannot control z-wave devices until I reboot the hub.

After I reboot the hub I have Zwave control and I will see the devices added to the Z-wave details page but with no name:

I have no other ghost nodes and all z-wave devices show status. There are no warnings or errors in the logs outside the two I mentioned and corrected.

Any suggestions would be great!

Have you done a full shut down of the hub? When z-wave gets into a bad state you need to do a full shut down and unplug the hub for 30 seconds so the radio will power down totally and restart.

Yes, I have done this multiple times.

How is hub being powered? PoE is known to sometimes cause z-wave issues. Recommendation is to use the supplied block and cord or some other high quality USB-A 1-Amp or greater supply.

Also you could try swapping the antennas, sometimes one is faulty so swapping them could fix z-wave but then cause zigbee issues, but at least you would know the problem.

Here is the full list of suggestions from the READ FIRST topic

I have it powered via the supplied USB power adapter. I will read through what you sent and see what I can do. I was going to try to move the hub and see if that helped at all.

Try the antenna swap as well, sometimes that does the trick.

No luck. I tried adding an old Aeotec nanomote quad I removed years ago and that is having the same issue. I have also tried a soft reset. I think my next step is opening a ticket with support.

So just to clarify, all other existing z-wave devices seem to be working OK after you restart the hub. If you try to include anything it stalls and takes down Z-wave. Rebooting then results in a node with no device, basically a ghost node.

So it sounds like Z-wave might be working but the hub is having an issue adding the device to the hub database.

Try adding a random virtual device, like just a virtual switch or something.

I think a soft reset with logs purge (then restore from backup) might be in order. This will clean out the hub database. You just take and download a backup then do a soft reset from the diagnostic tool.

Alternatively you can just do a reboot > click advanced > rebuild database. You just cannot really tell for sure if it worked or not that way so some people still like to do the soft reset option.

Thanks. I have tried a soft rest with no luck. I will give it a try again. The system is able to make a virtual device.

Make sure you do the logs purge with the soft reset. Its a strange one for sure, if you are under warranty still or have hub protect I would start a case on the support site. https://support.hubitat.com/

I am running out of ideas, have not seen this issue before myself. Usually when there is inclusion issues nothing is working right on Z-wave.

Thanks for the help, This hub has been giving me problems for awhile but once I get everything going it is pretty stable. I have an older C7 that is rock solid.

Another thought, if you have not tried already, try using a good quality 1-Amp or higher USB-A style power block, and a different, known to be working cord. It has some of the symptoms of power issues. Also I would still try the antenna swap if you have not. I have been shocked before when people said that fixed the problem.

Power is a great suggestion. I tried the antenna swap - no luck there.

Unfortunately, no luck with the power. I opened a support ticket yesterday.

Thanks again for all your help.

Just heard back from service. Reviewing engineering logs and based on what was posted they think it is a hardware failure and they are replacing the device.

I really apricate your help troubleshooting.

3 Likes