SmartRV with Sonoff SV (12VDC)

I am new to Hubitat and Smarthome in general, but I live full-time in an RV and don't want to have to rely on AC power to use some devices and all of my lights are 12VDC. Does anyone have experience connecting a 12VDC (low voltage) switch/relay to Hubitat? I have a Sonoff SV on order and believe this should work with the proper code? Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to Hubitat!!!

For the Sonoff devices, check out @ericm's firmware/driver for the Sonoff devices. It would work with the SV no problem.

1 Like

Shawn,
I for one would be interested in all you do with home automation in your RV. While we had a camping trailer for recreational use I had a number of HA items hooked (door sensor by the emergency hatch for example) but never got to doing much more before we sold it.

@srwhite (when he gets back from his travels) is the guy you need to talk to.
He has been incorporating a Hubitat hub into his RV for a while I believe.

1 Like

Most recently I've installed a Nest Thermostat to my AC unit which isn't even close to compatible. I'm using a 24 volt converter and relays to turn on cooling and two stages of fans. Works with Alexa which I have also connected that to my 12VDC by using a 3rd party plug (pretty simple) and connected FireTV. Should be able to use Sonoff SV to control my 12VDC lighting and DC powered fans. I'm hoping that I can integrate with Hubitat to enable motion sensors and security cameras possibly. I'm network engineer by trade and currently using Mofi Networks cellular router with optional external antennas depending on coverage and TP-Link wireless client access point I can fail-over internet connectivity between 3G/4G/LTE cellular to wireless networks depending on availability. I think works better than most packaged devices out there, but does require a little networking knowledge at times to connect to available wifi sources.

I installed two ecobee Smart Si Thermostat in my RV. They run on 12vdc fairly well. The one thing that I did find on my initial install that when I was not connected to shore power, when the heater/ac fan kicked on, the system droop and line voltage loss into the TStat would drop to like 10.5 vdc causing the TStat to reboot. You can add larger wire (less line loss) or an inline capacitor, or both to keep the drop from impacting the system. In my case, I went to Lithium Batteries on the RV which run at a little higher DC voltage and don't droop so bad on initial load. Works perfect now.

Intersting...I left my propane heat on the old analog 2-wire thermostat since my Nest currently requires shore power since the 24-volt converted is connected to 110 volt AC power.

I followed the directions on @ericm's site, but I get this message when trying to add the device. An error occured com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'Sonoff Wifi Switch' in namespace 'erocm123' not found

A few things I may have done wrong. I flashed the sonoff SV with tasmota then I flashed again without erasing using the compiled firmware on @ericm's site. Wasn't sure which driver to use for Sonoff SV. I've tried a couple now, but not sure how hubitat selects driver. Any help is appreciated.

Nope...you don't have the driver installed. You have to install the drivers that were on the same page as the firmware.

I saw that @ericm recommended the Sonoff S20 driver since it's very similar to the Basic which I'm guessing is similar to the SV and I still get the same error message? Maybe it still needs modified or something? Thanks for the help!

Ok, I got the a new driver installed and the SONOFF device was found using the Sonoff Connect. I've set my IP address in the Hubitat Configuration page, but I can't get Hubitat to turn on or off the SV.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.