Smart Plugs

If your C7 is working fine, I wouldn't replace it. For me, there is still too much uncertainty with no discernible benefit. But YMMV.

1 Like

Yes, the C-7 works fine, for what I have running right now. This weekend and next week I will add the Philips Hue Hub and Integration, with Bulbs, and a Dimmer Switch. And then ordering button controllers too. I have also Z-Wave Fire Alarm/CO2 combo (first Alert ZCombo) connected to it, for the HSM.

In the next few weeks/month, I want to add motion controllers, and maybe get the Ring Video Doorbell integrated, and also water sensors for the water heater, and under the sinks, and washer. So more will be running on the C-7 then.

I have read some posts, where devices which used to work on C-7 don't work on the C-8, that is why I am hesitant to upgrade.

I think I will keep my C-7 for now, and just add more things to it, and then see if I need to upgrade down the line.

Thank you for the response

1 Like

The new C8 hub does offer certain advantages.

1. It has the newer 800 series Z-wave radio, although there are few 800 series devices currently available.
  2. With new external Z-wave antenna and on top of the upgraded radio, nearly all my Z-wave devices are connected straight to the hub and most are connected at the full 100 kbps.
  3. The hub has a new Zigbee 3.0 certified radio, an upgrade from the HA 1.2 radio in the C7 hub.
  4. There is also a new external Zigbee antenna.

Admittedly, some users have experienced some issues with Zigbee, which was quite stable on the C7. My C8 had some glitches early on, but it has been stable through several firmware updates.

Whether you upgrade from the C7 to the C8 is totally up to you. If the C7 is doing what you want it to do, there is no need to upgrade. If you are like me and want the latest and greatest in technology, then you might upgrade like I did. Although the migration did cause a few headaches, I survived it.

If your C7 is working well, I'd wait on the C8 -- the zigbee issues some of us have on C8 are improving and I'm confident they will be resolved sooner than later, but until all the kinks are worked out, I'd hold off.

The migration from C7 is pretty slick, and since that capability isn't going away, there's no big hurry to convert soon.

The C8 is no doubt a nice more future-proof hub, but it's not as if the C7 is getting too long in the tooth -- it's still a very good and very capable hub.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.