Smart plugs with energy monitoring

Hi,

Firstly, I'm new to the smart home game... and will be moving into my first house soon and want to get some bits to get started.

I'm going with a Hubitat (obviously). I want to keep everything as local as possible! I would preferably like to go with Zigbee as I would like the devices to go directly to the Hubitat (I wouldn't dismiss using a WiFi device if need be).

I'm looking for a plug that can also monitor energy, I want to be able to use the energy data depending on the energy consumption, for example: If time is 6 PM or greater and sensor is disabled turn on lights if lights are on and plug greater than 85watts dim lights to 15%. (basic function still have to consider closing the door and all that fun stuff)

I assume this is something doable? any suggestions on plugs would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Will

I use the Zooz Z-Wave Plus Power Switch ZEN15 to monitor power to my appliances. One can monitor energy use of connected appliances in live mode or over time with W, kWh, A, and V reports (your Z-Wave hub needs to support this feature). NOTE: It is NOT a power outage monitor! Quick status reports to the controller and on/off state recovery after power failure.

I use the iris 3210 L's. They can still be found on eBay sometimes. I have 10 of them around the house and use 5 of them with energy monitoring enabled.

2 Likes

Can't help with your switch needs but your mention of WiFi suggests you might want to read this post.

John

No WiFi needed.

Sinope

Looks like Lowe's still sells them "unbranded". https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-120-Volt-White-Smart-Plug/999925330.

You better look again.

This is just a quick thanks for the recommendation. I got the Zooz, and it is performing admirably on my washing machine.

1 Like

I've got a bunch of brand new Iris V1 plugs available at $15 each plus shipping. Bulky but built rock solid and handle 15 amps and report energy.

So, I wanted to update—and leave some bread crumbs for others—that the GE-JASCO—Z-Wave Plus 40-Amp Indoor-Outdoor Metal Box Smart Switch Model 14285 is a comparable solution to monitor a 240V electric drier. I bought a regular dryer cable and a 3 prong to 4 prong adapter and hooked them up to make a larger Zooz-type configuration that sits between the wall outlet and the dryer plug. The GE paired right away to the Hubitat when the GE was in the z-wave configuration. The device can report once a day, once a month, or every 10 minutes. I use the last option to tell me within 10 minutes that my dryer is stopped and has clothes in it. It will repeat until the dryer door is opened and the contact sensor is broken. Also, my washer monitor has a rule to wait for the dryer to finish before announcing.

You can turn the switch on/off too through HE or via the little button on the front, but I just use it for energy monitoring.