Smart locks for UK multi-point lock

So we've just had a new front door fitted. A UPVC door with a multi-point lock where you have to lift the handle to engage the multi-point bolts and then turn the key in the euro cylinder barrel to lock the door. As supplied in standard "non smart" condition the key can't be turned to lock the door until the handle has been raised. Pretty much standard for a UK UPVC door.

I've been looking in to the smart locks available in the UK and the choice seems to be woefully lacking. If anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears!!

Here's what I've found to be compatible so far:

1. The Yale Conexis L1 at ÂŁ200 plus ÂŁ50 for the Z-wave module.
    On the plus side: It's supported by HE.
    On the down-side...
    [a] It's Z-wave (my mesh is entirely Zigbee).
    [b] It can't lock unless the handle's been pulled up to engage the multi-point.
    [c] Lastly, there's no physical key over-ride (a non-negotiable requirement of my better half) .

2. The Ultion Zigbee lock at ÂŁ229. It's a Danalock attached to a suitable handle.
    Plus side: It's supported and is also Zigbee. It has a manual key over-ride.
    Down side:
    Same as the Yale, it doesn't lock on the catch.
    The handle has to be raised to engage the multi-point lock first. For example, what if I'm on holiday & there's a water leak? I remotely let the plumbers in to fix it but on the way out they just pull the door shut and don't yank the handle up. I can't lock the door!

3. The SmartLock Slimline Universal at ÂŁ300.
    Plus side: It has a physical over-ride key. Physical key pad, fingerprint scanner, fobs and NFC can also be used.
    Most importantly, it will lock (remotely) on the catch without the handle being raised to engage the multi-point bolts. Less secure than multi-point but a hell of a lot more secure than Yale or Ultion which would both refuse to lock without the handle being pulled up. Of course, you CAN still pull the handle up to engage the additional bolts.
    Down side: Well.. cost for starters. At ÂŁ300 it's a lot of dough!

The Slimline Universal is bluetooth and supplied with a Wi-Fi bridge and API capability. Can it communicate with, & be integrated with Hubitat?

All input and advice greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Did you have any good recommendations for a wooden door smart lock on z-wave? It's for multiple Airbnbs in the same home.

I'm in the UK and use the Yale Conexis lock, although I have it offline and don't use the z-wave module. I have had it for about 3 years, the AA batteries last well and although they are never depleted I change them every 9 months, 12 months would easily be achievable. I have also read that adding the z-wave mod can cause the batteries to go flat much sooner so be mindful of this if you use it.
The lock itself is well made and sturdy, what i have noticed is after 3 years the chrome on the outside is starting to 'pit' slightly.
I bought mine because the kids kept losing their front door key :rage: - using one of these I could remove the fob and not worry about somebody using a key they found! Plus they had the yale app on their phone so were never locked out if i was late getting back from work.

1 Like

Sorry alecpiercy0117, I've only been concentrating on ones compatible with multi-point locks which are presumably mainly fitted to UPVC doors.
On a wooden door I'm guessing you either have mortice locks or surface mounted (Yale style) latch locks. On my smart lock search the choice for both these types of lock seems much greater.

I did come across your thread which I read with interest. If you want to manage all the smart locks in the Airbnbs through HE they'll all need to be within range of the hub; as would the other smart devices. Depending primarily on the distance you may need to get some repeaters, bearing in mind that they're not dual protocol like HE so you may need both Z-wave and Zigbee repeaters.

HE will lock the Yale Conexis L1 without anyone touching the handle.....

I have 2 in operation and about to install a third.

It will lock but the levers have to be already engaged (handle have been pushed up)

I've got one running with the module, personally, I've found the module reduces battery life quite a lot, and with the whole having the put the handle up for it to work makes it a bit irritating in my opinion.

Not having a key isn't a real issue as if it did die there is a 9v terminal on the outside you can hold a battery to and then unlock it with the fob (or whatever means) You also get plenty of warning with the batteries as the lock changes lock tone when they are running low (which is way before they die)

Personally, try another option.

1 Like

@ChrisPowys, also just to add the Zwave range on lock... the yale especially is shocking so a range extender is generally needed which support the right security setting etc

Thanks for the input jackgregory92. Smart locks are such an expensive item that I really need to make the right choice first time. I'd be more than a bit miffed if a ÂŁ300 lock ended up in my smart home odds and sods box!

As for Z-wave, my devices are all Zigbee so there's no Z-wave mesh in the house.
The Yale is a definite no-go as (regardless of anything else) it has no physical key back-up which has been designated a "must have" by my OH!
I'm not really happy relying on the handle being lifted for the door to lock. Both the Yale and Ultion fail on that score.

Unless anyone knows of any other multipoint compatible solutions that leaves the Smartlock Slimline as the only choice that ticks all the boxes.
The lock is supplied with a Bluetooth/Wi-Fi bridge. I believe the Android app (Smartlock Europe) is a re-branded version of the "TTLock" app. According to the website it's API capable and is controllable by Google Assistant and Alexa.

The cherry on the cake would be if it can be integrated with Hubitat, presumably by API. I've emailed Smartlock for more info on the API. I'm slightly techy but not that much! Perhaps somebody like @bravenel could shed some light on the possibility.

Edit: Stuart at Smartlock kindly got back to me about the API:

We license the app from TTLock, you can find details in their API here
https://open.ttlock.com/doc/userGuide

1 Like

Expensive indeed and not a problem!

I’m still having some issues with mine and I’m pretty 50/50 with meshes.
I’ve just ordered the aeo range 7 (eu plug only though so adapter time :joy:) to try and solve some of the issues with the Yale.

Just to continue hating on it more and to give you more reason, if there wasn’t enough already, to avoid it…
There app is horrendous and doesn’t seem to be maintained at all.
I don’t think I’ve ever had a good experience with there support team.
And personally I prefer something with a bridge, like you’ve said the more expensive one has, just because it’s a second point of redundancy..

Say you like loosing keys, hence why I got one in the first place, you can always open it from it own system.. where as, I’ve found, the Yale app doesn’t always like to work.

I’m currently in the same boat - did you find a good solution in the end?

The Smartlock Slimline Universal is still the only lock I've found that meets all criteria.

At ÂŁ300 I didn't buy one (yet) and TBH I haven't been looking recently. Other household bills have had to take priority, not least the gas & electricity which was on a darned good fixed deal at ÂŁ116/month but will now be ÂŁ240/month. Thank god for the Tado smart TRVs, without which it would be even higher.

Oh dear, sorry to hear your bills have jumped up so much.

I think I may go ahead with this one - just waiting for a callback to talk through my current door/lock and make sure it is compatible. I'm hopeless with DIY so I'll need someone to install it for me.

I'm not capable of programming any compatibility with the API, so it's a shame it won't integrate into HE. However, via the Alexa integration I should be able to at least incorporate it into some routines that way..

This is the lock I got last month.

[

](https://simpled.uk/product/slim-series-smart-lock/)

DIY install, and met all my requirements. Bought in conjunction with the G2 Hub (while on offer), to allow the use of Alexa and found it to work really well. Another main point for me was the use of “passage mode”, which allows you to keep the door unlocked externally for a set period of time, without having to unlock it with one of the multiple ways of opening it every time you use it. To enable this mode, you have to unlock it once with one of the options, and then it activates. It’s great for when we have a house full of kids who are in and out from the garden all day.

It’s installed on our side/kitchen door, as this is our main entry point. (The front doors just for show and post :rofl::joy:). Another key point was that the better half wanted a physical available if needed, (not fully on board with smart home, but working on her slowly :wink::ok_hand:t2:), this comes with two, so I keep one on our car keys and the other in a secure box outside, in case for whatever reason it fails.

Like yourself, I would love it if someone with the know how could work out a way of integrating the TTLock system to work within HE, as this would allow me to run different routines, to those I am working on with Alexa, which will give me more flexibility.

IF this has already been done….please someone respond to this thread :rofl:

For wooden doors I use the Yale night latch with the zwave module. This has been a game changer for us. We haven't carried keys in 3 years for this door. The original model is down to ÂŁ75 but you need the zwave module at extra cost. Naturally.
They have brought a new one out with a dead bolt to lock which is more secure and added a key to override to touch pad. As expected these are up at £300. We have had no issues. Batteries last about 12 months and let’s you know when they are getting weak. Nice tune. Integrates with Hubitat no problem.
Everyone has their own code and I’m alerted whenever it is opened. Wouldn’t be without it

Also have the conexis on the porch door. Not as useful as stated above mainly because of the mechanical issue of engaging the multipoint bits. Fitted fine but took a week to align so the lock was smooth enough not to stop it locking.
Still undecided on this one and what to do.

Just noticed yale zwave module is down to about ÂŁ35 on Amazon.
Also Simpled lock down to ÂŁ160.
Not being paid commission for advertising promises :grin:

Did anyone manage to connect TTLock app to Hubitat? TTLock already has a home assistant driver, but not for Hubitat!

1 Like

I have also found a Homebridge integration as well but it looks like there hasn't been much activity for a while. Here's the link: GitHub - bwitting/homebridge-ttlock: Homebridge plugin for the TTLock Platform

So the slimline one locks but the multi point isn't engaged?

Seems a good solution, but wasting the security of multipoint.

I've had many conversations with ultion via email and love their support. I've not pulled the trigger yet to buy one.

I do have normal ultion locks in the house as they seem the safest in terms of random burglaries,

This is the reason I've never bothered with smart locks. There's nothing smart about having to remember to raise the handle to do the multipoint locking.

I'll stick to a good old key (all my locks are keyed alike). I've fitted microswitches behind the mortice bolts on each door. Those are either connected to the input of an Aeotec Z wave contact, or to my alarm for connection using MQTT. I can see at a glance on my dashboards the status of the standard locks and I have notifications/reminders if they're left unlocked at a particular time at night.

We've had a multi-lock for a while and are in the habit of always picking the handle up regardless of whether we are leaving or entering the house