Smart Locks for the Uk

Hi All.

Thinking of getting some smart locks. Initially i want to convert my wooden front door and im looking at the yale YD-01-CON-NOMOD-CH

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-YD-01-NOMOD-CH-Keyless-Connected/dp/B08JMF8NYR/ref=pd_lpo_60_t_0/260-0993518-8730950?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DE4DFM8&pd_rd_r=8f4754c6-f0e2-4b96-9ebf-58235bb5f62a&pd_rd_w=ljSFC&pd_rd_wg=rLnSh&pf_rd_p=da0677f5-a47b-4543-8b54-10be576b8f26&pf_rd_r=4RM587M78EQ8NJ38FDHK&refRID=4RM587M78EQ8NJ38FDHK&th=1

Has anyone integrated this with HE? Idealy i want it to open when my presence is detected, but i know that this isnt going to be straight forward!

Has anyone achieved this?

anyone recommend any other makes/models?

i have read most of the other threads that i can find but they all seem to be focused on our fellow enthusiasts across the pond!

Seems to be just basic Z-Wave so I would assume it would just work with the Generic Z-Wave lock driver but if someone else has a contrary opinion please correct me.

Presence auto opening would not be too difficult (basically when presence is present, unlock lock) if you are already reliably getting presence, although I would be careful with this for security reasons.

If you are not already getting reliable presence I would recommend a combination of WiFi pinging (basically scans your network for your phone or other wifi device) and GPS (I do Hubitat app and Life360) and then combine them somehow, I use this:

1 Like

@cjkeenan is right, this works with the Generic Z-wave Lock driver. I bought one of these in the Black Friday sales.

I quite like the lock and the ability to open it via a tag or code, and less keys in my pocket.
The functionality is somewhat limited to other types though. But you can lock/unlock via HE and if added to Alexa, you can do the same with voice (once you set up a pin, which Alexa will prompt for).

You can turn the auto lock function on the keypad on/off via the pad itself, and have HE lock it after X seconds etc.
One thing it wont do is work with Lock code manager, and the tags assigned don't come back to HE so you could add a name etc. which is a bit of a shame.

I had been working on a driver to get a little more out of it, but I'm just not that good lol.

Interesting, I wonder why? I thought most of the US based Yale locks worked with LCM.

I'm not sure, I suspect its looking for something that either the lock cant provide, or the driver isn't extracting. :frowning:

How do you setup lock codes then? August user over here trying to find a good alternative (which shouldn't be as hard as it is since August is terrible imo), so no experience with LCM.

You can set up a Custom Alexa Voice command that has the code embedded...

1 Like

Ingenious use of that feature albeit bypassing the security of that the pin provides in the first place :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:smiley: I do like the fact it wants a code.

You can set them up in the device itself, or directly on the lock. But if you set up a Tag to read, you wont see that come back to HE. I'm thinking there must be a way, as the Zipato keypad I have can do this. I do intend to look more at creating the driver, when I have the time. :+1:

How does it open from the inside? is there a button to push?

I’m using a Yale L1 on my upvc door (it looks like it uses the same Z wave module)
I have set up a rule that when either of our phones becomes present and if my ring doorbell detects motion within 4 minutes then unlock front door.
Works great the phone becomes present about 100m from my house, I then have 3 mins to get out the car and walk to the door the ring sees the motion and the door unlocks,

1 Like

On the inside, its the normal night latch, with the box above it.

that sounds like a workable solution, but would mean installing a multipoint lock into a wooden door, more research!

Ok thanks, didnt notice that on the installation video.

1 Like

Can you set it to stay open? or does it automatically close all the time?

Yeah, you can change the relock time.

As well as turning that off :+1:

thanks for that, i need to look at the instructions, from what ive seen on the videos the L1 seems far more fully featured but will mean a lot more work on my part, more research required!

Yeah agree, I've looked at that for the porch door. The other is on the inner door, so we still have a mortice lock on the outer. They look quite good, although quite massive too. I'm not sure if that would serve as a deterrent, or a target :expressionless:

The L1 is a great bit of kit and I have never had any problems with it. The only issue with the L1 is it’s designed for upvc doors were you lift the handle to engage the 3 point locks.
The mortice lock you put in the link looks just as well built as the L1 from what I have seen.

1 Like

Its a common misconception that multipoint locks are for composite and upvc doors only, you can get multipoint lock systems for wooden doors as well.

the yale lockmaster 3 deadbolt multipoint system is such a system. i can buy the lockset for 50/60 quid but id only have to actually fit one of the sections for it to work, the other 2 are optional and it will work without them.

the questions i need to be asking myself are:

1. is the mortice latch version as fully featured as the L1 euro style?
  2. its likely that the old wooden door will be replaced eventually, do i want to spend £100 now on something i wont use in the future
  3. do i want to spend £60 on a locking system that will go to waste later even though ill be able to swap the L1 over to the new door.

decisions, decisions! but at least the research is almost done!

1 Like