Smart Dry Wireless Laundry Sensor

Does anyone have any experience with this ...

Amazon.com: SmartDry Wireless Laundry Sensor and App, iOS and Android Mobile Devices. Compatible with Alexa. Smart Dry Notifications for any Clothes Dryer (Gas or Electric), Smart Home Clothes Dryer Accessory: Computers & Accessories

In the Amazon Q&A section, someone asked:

Would it be possible to set this up for mqtt, so it can be integrated with something like home assistant, node red, or hubitat?

and there was a reply dated Jan of this year:

It can be integrated into SmartThings, Alexa and Google Assistant

What I'm not sure about is if ST, Alexa skill or GA would make it possible to interface somehow with HE?

1 Like

I have this. It works well, and I used to have it integrated with Hubitat via ST and HubConnect.

I haven’t looked at the Alexa skill lately, but when I last looked at it, it could not be used as a trigger for routines.

Also tagging @bjcowles

2 Likes

So with no ST in my environment i'm limited to their app... ? does the sensor actually go inside the dryer with magnets? it's not 100% clear in the descriptions or any of the Q&As...

Yup. Battery life isn't great, but not too bad either. It communicates with their hub via BT.

There was a thread here that got into the Smart Dry a bit as well. Unfortunately they have never expressed any interest (never responded to anyone beyond a "we might look into it") in integrating with Hubitat. The ST is an integration with the Smart Dry systems (cloud/servers/whatever) from my understanding.

2 Likes

I am still using mine with a hub-less SmartThings /Hub Connect setup. At one time, I'd wondered if someone smarter than I could crack the thing with one of Iman's Environmental sensors w/ Bluetooth. I ended up having to buy a new dryer a couple months ago and to my surprise, the darn thing only runs about 1 minute longer than SmartDry says it should.

1 Like

I'm using mine with Alexa and Homebridge (I tried previously with Google Home/Assistant, but it was a hot mess). With Alexa, I have it set to speak notifications on my Echo Dot when the laundry is dry (or overheating), and to send notifs to my phone. It also turns a light green or red, depending on the condition.

In Homebridge, it appears as a contact sensor, which you can set up to notify you when it opens or closes.

1 Like

Hi @darryl.kegg
I have this running with just Alexa. The SmartDry skill adds 3 virtual switches to Alexa: SmartDry Clothes Dry, SmartDry Stopped and SmartDry High Temp. I have them in routines to do announcements but I don't see why you couldn't switch some virtual HE devices along with or instead of the announcement.

This must be a newer skill. The original skill from February of 2020 didn’t do this.

There are two phone apps and I think two Alexa skills. Their website is confusing. The Skill & App I have don't to that so I am going through ST. You seem to have to work with Connected Life Labs for setup so I've been slow to try deleting everything and setting it up again to try to remove ST and shut down the hub.

1 Like

Right, the skill is called SmartDryDevice. The original is called SmartDry.

1 Like