Smart Device to Push Physical Button

Anyone have recommendation of a smart device (Zigbee or Zwave) that can close a physical contact?

Think of it as a device that can push a doorbell button.

If you're looking for something that can sit on top of the physical button and literally push it, I'm not aware of any "universal" solution like that that is directly Hubitat-compatible, but there are products like the Ecosmart TLS-ZWAVE5, DLS-ZWAVE5, and the similar-in-concept ThirdReality smart "switch," all of which sit on top of a toggle or decorator light switch and can flip/push it. If you're creative enough, you might be able to make the decorator varieties work with other kinds of buttons. These are all Z-Wave and Zigbee devices you could pair directly to Hubitat.

But what you might really like instead of the above would be something more like the Microbot Push or SwitchBot. Unfortunately, I don't think either of these has a local API, but I know at least the latter has a documented cloud API (no official local API, unfortunately), and there's at least one community driver that can help you integrate them.

However, it sounds like you might just be trying to close contacts instead of phyiscally push a button. In that case, I'd look at something like the Zooz ZEN17 or ZEN16 (with "garage door"/momentary contact mode). There are probably Zigbee solutions too and likely Z-Wave ones that aren't mulit-relays, but that's one I happen to know of off hand.

You are correct - I'm trying to close a contact. Also found the FortrezZ MiMo Lite as an option as well.

Found this little arm thingy.https://www.amazon.com/SwitchBot-switch-button-controlled-compatible/dp/B07B7NXV4R/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=switchbot&qid=1572604078&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=AZJMNAZLHZV6F&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTEpIQzRRVVk5TDVVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDIyNzk0MVk3OFRTN1VZWUVNUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzUzNzA2SVhJWkpZMzNPUExYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==&linkCode=sl1&tag=mobilead0ec00-20&linkId=88b09f1fa5ec6c1a420dc4297e9a0f23&language=en_US

As seen on Paul Hibbert (yes I know he's not a reliable resource)

Never mind, after further review it requires it's own hub.

If youโ€™re just working with low-voltage signaling, check out the implant modules

If you can live with WiFi, the Shelly 1 works at half the price.

If it's doorbell, you can possibly to use zigbee/z-wave NO/NC relay. e.g. Zooz Zen16/17, to trigger the doorbell electrically not physically.

But wow that video was disturbingly entertaining nonetheless :grinning:

I think the FGBS-222 will be the winner!

I used the

that I already had nearby for environmental monitoring. It was easy to add a relay

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0NTPP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to it and do exactly what you are looking for. :grin:

If you go this route you get the bonus of all the sensors AND a Zigbee repeater. :+1:

1 Like

For DIYer, a solenoid like below is an option depending on your needs. It can simulate the "pushing action".

There are choices for contact closing in every single radio. When asking the community about devices, be sure to let everyone know exactly what it is you want to do. Youโ€™ll be matched up with the best options for your environment and your preference much faster.

1 Like