Smart Coffee Makers

So this morning our 9 year old commercial Keurig gave up on us, so I am shopping for a new coffee maker.

It doesn't look like there is very many high quality smart coffee makers on the market.

The Spin looks promising, although I'm not convinced it would ship this century.

I would like to write a RM rule that starts the coffee maker when our hall motion sees motion for the first time each morning.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good smart coffee maker? What are you guys using?

Thanks

Fairly manual process for us. Grind the beans in an electric burr grinder, boil the water and pour it over the grounds.

Only automation is “Hey Google, fill the Kettle”. I kind of like leaving some manual efforts in my life to remind me I’m not lazy, I just enjoy automations. That said, if we ever went full auto in that respect, the all-one units that grind with a conical grinder, then brew with proper wait times to allow the grounds to “bloom” and expel Co2 before continuing, are what interest me the most.

1 Like

I'm at the point where I don't trust any startup with a cloud based smart device. I've been bitten too many times where I buy an expensive device like a $500 coffee maker only to have them go out of business in a year (because seriously --- how big is the market for $500 coffee makers???) and poof cloud server goes down and the "smarts" are now "dumb."

I really want a smart coffee maker too but I think the best solution is an old drip coffee pot and a smart switch triggered by your motion sensor.

5 Likes

I use a $15 dumb coffee maker and a smart plug. Make rules to control it anyway I want.

1 Like

Check out this thread:

Shouldn't the automation be: :grinning:

• Trip sensor
  • Start making the coffee
  • Robot brings coffee to me
  • Turn off coffee maker
  • Robot picks up empty cup and loads into dishwasher
  • Robot puts clean cup for next cycle
2 Likes

Thanks for your input guys. I think I will just go with another non smart coffee maker that has a timer for this go round. Hopefully next time I need to shop for one, there will be more smart options available.

1 Like

Probably a good call, coffee is too important to be messing with. :coffee:

5 Likes

I recently set up automation with a portable zigbee button (Coffee Pot Ready), a virtual switch (Coffee Brewing Activated), a zigbee plug (provide power to the pot), and an electric percolator pot.

When the button is single clicked, I marked the pot as Ready (switch is on).
When an Alexa routing is triggered by the morning schedule, the Activated switch is set on.
When both switches are enabled, then a rule turns on the plug.
The Ready switch is turned off after a minute through the rule engine.
The Activate switch auto shuts off after 10 seconds (in the switch properties).
A simple rule was created to auto turn off the plug after 2 hours of cooking the finished coffee.

Also I used IFTTT to create rules to turn on both switches (start brewing instantly). And to simply mark the pot as ready.

If this is of interest, I can take some screen shots. I figure this could pretty easily be a bundle.

Curious why you need IFTTT.

I use a Zigbee plug to a dumb coffee maker. No timer on the pot itself. When I get the coffee ready I turn on the switch on the pot itself. Then normally at 5:45 am the plug starts the brewing. If I need a different time I can turn it on via a dashboard link. In either case it turns off after 2 hours. I have a condition if we are not home the plug will not come on just in case we left the pot switch on. I also have a switch on a dashboard to disable the auto start, kinda like you do with ready but in reverse.

Nice thing about this compared to a pot with it's own timer, if the power goes out I don't have to reset the clock.

Ive got a smart integrated Bosch coffee machine 3 years in and its not skipped a beat.
Love it

I really want a non keurig machine that I can tie into my water line so I dont have to keep refilling with water and I can pull of my filtered water line.

The K2500 has an optional plumbing kit so you don't have to fill the water tank. We had a larger model at our office and our facilities put a in line 6 month water filter on the plumbing kit. We had a total of 96 of them deployed company wide. They were very reliable and easy to maintain.

We will probably get the Atomi when our Cuisnart grind and brew goes. I mean I'll just set a notifier for it on a virtual switch. Beyond that there isn't really a need for it to be smart lol

https://www.amazon.com/Atomi-Smart-Coffee-Maker-Grinder/dp/B08B1TX6LV

If the internet is down can you still make the coffee with Atomi, that would disqualify it on the WAF check list.

Yes...

1 Like