Smart Bulb / Smart Switch Unpaired After Power Loss

I have three instances where I have smart bulbs (Phillips Hue) controlled by smart switches (Zooz Zen23 and Zooz Zen27). The switches are configured to smart bulb mode and are connected using Mirror Me instances. Under normal circumstances they operate as programmed.

The problem is associated with power outages, which occur infrequently, but cause an annoying problem when they do.

When power is restored after an outage, the bulbs no longer respond to the switches.

In order to restore the bulbs to normal function, I need to set the switches to enable paddle control, flick the switch to turn the lights on, then reconfigure the switch to smart bulb mode.

When I have done that the circuit works as expected.

I have researched to make sure that I have all components configured correctly and I am unable to find where the problem lies.

I would appreciate any help in identifying how I can resolve the issue.

One of the problems with those bulbs is that they make terrible repeaters/messengers. They in general shouldn't be on the same network as ZHA based zigbee devices (sensors and what not). I'm wondering if in general they're going in and out...

To me this sounds like a problem with the relay state after the power outage. There should be a settings option missed that tells the relay what state to go into. Make sure that setting is set to always turn the relay on.

2 Likes

Recent-generation Hue bulbs are excellent repeaters and totally fine to include in your Hubitat zigbee mesh, as they are legit Zigbee 3.0. Early generation Hue bulbs (pre-ZB 3.0) are problematic, however.

1 Like

That was my first thought, but I have been unable to find a setting for power resumption. As I am continuing to troubleshoot this, I will look again. Thank you for your response and suggestion.

Given the age of the bulbs, I suspect they are pre-Zigbee 3.0. If I continue to have this problem, I will need to consider replacement as a solution. Thank you for your response and suggestion.

Have you checked for the latest firmware for that switch?

The option I am refering to is this one

That is for a Zen 72 switch though and is the community driver. Maybe check if there is a community driver that enables more features.

I dont see how zigbee has anything to do with this. The switch is zwave and it sounds like the relay state is the problem.

1 Like

What driver are you using for the device? Is it the built-in one or community one?

Most of us just move the older hue bulbs and the shite bulbs (Cree etc) to a hue bridge and let hubitat control them through something like cocohue (100% local)

I have re-examined my Zooz switches and found that I overlooked the setting that you are referring to. I have made the change and will now wait to see if this corrects my problem.... Thank you

NB The Zigbee reference was to the bulbs that I am using. Since there is no "power failure' setting on those devices it is unlikely that this was the cause of my specific problem

2 Likes