Slow and somewhat gradual switch between multiple colors (ie for holiday lighting)

Doing a bit of searching, I see there is a community app called Event Engine or Event42 that may support using an RGBW bulb to create a holiday effect.

Does Room Lighting also offer an option to create such an effect?
I'd rather learn more about one app I already use than try to learn the quirks of an entire new app.

For an example of what I'm trying to do, on 7/4 I'd have the bulb go red for 5 seconds, do a 2 second fade to white, be white for 5 seconds, do a 2 second fade to blue, be blue for 5 seconds, and do a 2 second fade back to red and repeat.

Hi @calinatl!

I have a Rule that control the lights in the social area of my home. Turning on a switch makes three groups of bulbs - Hall, Bar and Estar - adjust to warm white, turn of other lights and then changes the color of these three groups simultaneously at an interval defined by a variable called Time. It repeats 250 times, or untill the same switch be turned of.

I think that you may achieve the result you want with some few adjustments. Feel free to ask if having doubts, and please excuse some English error, it is not my mother language.

@marcusvrsilva Have you done the above in RL or RM?

Rule Machine.

@calinatl , @mbishop has a holiday lighting app...

2 Likes

Here are the actions from a RM rule that cycles between red, white and blue every 10 seconds for patriotic USA holidays. This will run at night and in the morning. Not sure how well this is coded but it does work.

@rlithgow1 & @mbishop
So I downloaded the Holiday Lighting app, and it looks exceedingly promising, except I cannot figure out if
a. This app does not support a single bulb cycling through various colors in for example, 7 second increments
or
b. It does support the above and I just can't figure out how to use it...

@oldcomputerwiz
Thank you. Very helpful. I'm not quite sure what all your commands are doing but in the process of figuring it out. In the meantime I got orange & purple cycling on one bulb tonight for the trick or treaters!

1 Like

Just ask if any are stumping you. Either myself or someone else will jump in and help you figure it out.

With Halloween over, mine will go back to running the rule that generates random colors until Thanksgiving when the Christmas rule kicks in.

Download Garden Hue by @kahn-hubitat

1 Like

It does support a single bulb cycling through various colors, but 7 seconds is a very high frequency. The lowest it goes is 1 minute.

I highly recommend @mbishop Holiday lighting app. this should be able to do what you are looking for.

Edit

I thinknit does, but I would reach out to @mbishop . He can help you if it does, or has been very responsive about adding feature requests pretty quickly and working with the requestor to test and make sure thats what they were looking for.

@mbishop It does support a single bulb cycling through various colors, but 7 seconds is a very high frequency. The lowest it goes is 1 minute.

Appreciate the response. I got it working!!! Posted a follow up in the Holiday Lighting thread.
Thank you for this app!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.