Siren turns on suddenly in Disarmed HSM

Hi, i'm new to Hubitat. Moved from Smartthings. Looking for stability...
I have a lot of wired sensors connected by Konnected boards including siren.
Also have wireless Z-wave plus smoke detectors and water leak sensors.

Today suddenly on Home and Disarmed modes siren turned on. People in home could not do nothing with dashboard (i have Android tablet with Fully browser and local link dashboard), cause it already was disarmed. They told me that on that dashboard during siren ON one of Smoke detectors and back door were triggered... but door was closed and Smoke detector did not beep.

I shut siren off in Devices-Siren-Off by logging into hub remotely using local PC... When i'm checking Smoke detector's Events, i don't see any intrusions there. So i'm confused. Any suggestions?

Today morning also we had problem by connecting to dashboards (local and cloud), they frezed on Loading Layouts, so i had to restart hub from the Settings. May be that will help...

You can look at the events log for HSM (not SHM!). Click on the gear icon for the app, and then click on Events button at top of page. It will show you any events that came from HSM.

Nothing there, only one line for that time is disarmRules, that is my try to shut it off from HSM side, it did nothing.
Next event is ArmingAway at the end of day

Try your DEVICES page for the Siren and scroll to the bottom and look at "In Use By" anything there beside HSM?

1 Like

So something else set off the siren. Look at the events for the siren device itself, using the Events button at the top of the device page. That may give you a clue.

Siren - In use by HSM only: Arming Away and Armed Smoke/Water.
Siren events: last two records:
Switch - off - Device 17:23 (when i shut off siren manually)
Alarm - off - Device 9:41am (it's Morning Disarm)

and still no clue ...

Any more ideas?

Power?
Is the siren mains powered and does it have a battery backup?

Very often sirens with a battery backup will scream if power is lost... even for a split second

I doubt anything would show in any logs if this happened.

Andy

Siren powered by 12v terminal on Konnected board. And whole Security system including ISP modem backed up by UPC battery. I never had siren misalarm before on Smartthings hub for example...

Couple of thoughts. I occasionally have the same problem. To fix the issue in the short term I created a virtual switch that is normally on. I have a rule that if the switch is turned off (from my dashboards or Google or Alexa) it sends an off command to both my sirens and then turns back on. This is helpful for both uncommanded blips as well as actual alarm events where once alerted we just want the sirens to stop.

I have a rule that sends a refresh out to all my devices twice a day. On rare occasions one or both of my sirens will blare for about 2 seconds then stop - uncommanded. Best guess is the flood of ZWave traffic hitting so many devices at one time confuses the sirens.

Now folks are going to ask why I ping all my devices twice a day - I have a watchdog that alerts me daily if any of my devices have not checked in within last 24 hours. This is very helpful to identify devices whose batteries have died or have dropped from the network. I found that if I poll all my devices once a day - a couple may not respond - but if I poll twice a day I rarely get false alerts of devices not communicating.

I have only one siren, so on my "personal" cloud dashboard i've added just siren tile as a switch to shut it off easily.

If i understood right you think than my Zwave smoke detector could lost connection for a second and that triggered siren??? And hub doesn't have any records of that?

And so Hubitat hub doesn't have any checks and notifications built in for dead battery or lost device?

You can build rules for battery level, in either HSM Custom Rule or Rule Machine. For lost device, no, there is no direct way to know this. Also, battery notifications can fail depending on the device. For example, suppose you set a notification for battery level < 25%. If the battery goes from 26% to dead with no battery level event, then you won't get a notification.

Device health is very difficult, and not very valuable unless it is solidly reliable.

It is possible that you had a spontaneous event in the siren itself. There was no event from the siren for it turning on. Could be from some power glitch, maybe. There is no evidence the hub caused it, at least evidence that one can point to.

I also noticed that dashboards sometimes not updating automatically as they should. Not sure if it's hub or connection issue. I use green check mark on right top corner for that. May be that related issues?

Also i'm confused that dashboard showed wrong info about door and Smoke detector at the moment of glitch... it's glitch of dashboard or hub?