Sinope Propane Tank Monitor: Spring '21

Is there a good chance this new zigbee device coming this Spring will work with HE? They say it'll work with SmartThings. I imagine a driver would have to be written?

I like the idea of an energy efficient zigbee monitor.

2 Likes

I can't comment on the Sonope, but Tank Utility works fine in Hubitat as well as Genmon.

I like the idea of zigbee vs. wifi, plus the potential to directly interface with HE without the dependence on another server.

1 Like

I've been very interested in this propane monitor as well.
Any new info since you posted?
The Sinope website only shows that it's available summer 2021, and no cost info.
They show other devices (their thermostat) is Hubitat compatible, so I'm hoping they will make this monitor compatible as well.
Anyone have any news on this?
Thanks!

I inquired at Sinope about what their propane monitor will do and when it will be available.
It took a week to hear back from them but got this:

Blockquote
Thank you for your interest in our company and our products.
Concerning your request, the Tank level monitor works only with a tank remote ready dial R3D (float gauge), following big tanks like 20 lbs and more, it is will be very easy to remorse (just a clip), presently We don't have any information about the compatibility with the others platforms like Hubitat, prices and disponibility will be determinate very soon.

So, if my Quebec-ian is accurate, they might work with a 20lb BBQ tank, but not sure about the R3D float gauge.
This doesn't look like I can use this with tanks I get refilled at Home Depot!
Any thoughts? Anyone know more about R3D gauges?

That's for those who heat with propane.

1 Like

Perhaps a scale?

Well, as it happens…

image image image image

I had this linked with my Wink system. Kept it in case I could eventually use it with Hubitat, but never ended-up trying it.

1 Like

Probably the best choice if the tank is like the one shown. I seem to remember someone trying a thermal strip on the side of the tank as the temp is lower on the top as the gas vaporizes, but was most accurate while the tank was being used. Too late to tell you have no gas just as you start cooking.
So did it work well on Wink? (the good old, more simple days)

1 Like

Nop…. It was not very reliable…. It never seemed to tell me that it was getting empty when it should have…

2 Likes

Now it says Fall 2021. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Has anybody gotten this quirky propane to work in hubitat. I have a new one in the box never used and wouldn't mind integrating this in my automation system, along with the quirky egg reminder that work with wink at the time.

Sinope said they were going to send me one once they were available, I guess that's now, and I don't have one to integrate...

IF you need at least the Wink Quirky Propane monitoring unit to develop it, I can ship you my new in the box unit.

1 Like

I Have an older one (The Wink Quicky one, not the Sinopé - yet…) that I would gladly use for testing if there is a driver developed for it.

If its Zigbee and in working order I can have a look, no guarantees though.

Found out it's wifi connection

I'm looking into options for monitoring the level of a large propane tank used for home heating, which it appears the Sinope device would be ideal for. It does appear I will need to check with my provider to see if they can install an R3D compatible dial though, and, most importantly, it seems the product still isn't available for sale.

Has anyone found any alternatives? The closest I can find appears to be a series of magnetic tank monitors that use bluetooth, with a wifi birdge available. No Zigbee or Zwave as best I can tell exist.

Tank Utility has a community integration in Hubitat that works good for reading levels or putting on a dashboard. Generally speaking I am happy with T-U, but their app is a bit outdated. It has been years since they did any updates, and the Android app (not sure about IOS) complains it was built for "an older version of Android" when I use it with Android 10.

The hardware has been OK for me, I have gone 3-4 years now without ever touching it or even a battery. Reading through the Play Store, I might have been lucky there, but the company does seem to stand behind the hardware, at least according to the comments on the Play Store. You will want a Wifi repeater close to the tank though, I had to put one in my garage to get a consistent strong signal.