Simple Virtual Thermostat Temp updater

but I'll go fix it

Future tense, someone as exact as you should understand that :slight_smile:

@napalmcsr I believe the sample rule you posted is what I'm looking for but as I'm new to building these type of rules in Hubitat I'm confused how you actually set-up the "actions to run" Could you possibly provide screen shots of how you coded setTemperature(%MBR-Temperature%) on Thermostat: MBR.

What I want to achieve is I've set-up a virtual thermostat that I want to set my actual thermostat temp to match the temp set in the virtual thermostat. I've searched all over hubitats docs and this forum but I can't seem to find examples how to actually code this in Rule Machine 4.0 only the end result like you have posted but missing the steps to get there.

Thanks,
Chris

You need to create a local variable, mine was MBR_Temperature, I don't use RM anymore so adding the steps would be difficult.

Thanks @napalmcsr Now I need to learn how to create local variables and then how to reference them in an action.

Variable no longer needed.
Create Trigger:

Set action:

@napalmcsr I greatly appreciate the help you are providing. I wish there was a better manual or tutorial how to code Rule Engine. I'm still stuck how to create this set virtual to real temp per your set action

When I create the %value% action e.g.

I then end-up with this as my final result that doesn't work

You are setting the thermostat setpoint on the custom action, not the settemperature
You also Might need to select thermostat as the capability of action device

@napalmcsr I'm not sure as this rule runs perfectly but as you see I have hard coded the setThermostatSetpoint to 71. What I want is this same type of rule but to have the setThermostatSetpoint become the same value as what the virtual thermostat is set at.

Unfortunately the Tesla driver that I downloaded from Tesla Integration to Remind Us To Plug The Car In doesn't recognize the Tesla climate system as a thermostat which is why I'm having to reference the temperature attribute that does allow you to set the temp of the car. Hence the reason for the virtual thermostat as my ultimate goal is to add a Thermostat tile to my dashboard pointed to the virtual thermostat and then have that virtual device send the requested temp to the Tesla via a rule. Once that is all working I can then plan to add a voice command to Alexa .. "prepare Tesla for departure" that will trigger the climate system to come on in the car at the requested temp.

So now back to the question at hand .. what are the Rule 4.0 steps by steps I need to enter in order to have virtual device temp result in physical device (tesla) getting set to the same set point?

My opinion is that the Tesla code might be the issue, I set the setpoint of a virtual thermostat cold setpoint with no issue using a decimal.

I honestly think it is my lack of understanding how to code rule engine. I'm trying to do the same thing using my Ecobee thermostat as a test and I still can't get my rule to match what is in your rule which I suspect is because I'm doing something wrong when I try and code the actions which I why I'm hoping someone can provide step by step screen shots of how to use %value% in a rule e.g.

I don't understand how to create the action you have in yours of set MBR-Temp to MBR Motion physical

If there is some documentation or a tutorial posted somewhere I'm happy to learn but I can't find anything that explains how to do what you have done with step by step instructions

What parameter type are you using, and have you checked the logs for errors?

This is what I entered:

when I save it I get this as a result which doesn't look like your rule

looks right

O.k. .. so the good news is it looks like current version of Rule 4.0 no longer keeps the %value" format after you save it and instead changes it to (value())

Bad news is when I click "Run Actions" the log shows an error vs. setting the echobee to 55

Change the temperature on the Tesla virtual thermostat, and see if you get an error, that value() might not be totally populated

1 Like

That worked and virtual Therm is now setting my echobee to match so rule is working which is great. So it does now appear the problem is in fact with the Tesla driver.

Thanks so much for the help as I now understand how to use %value% in Rules 4.0

2 Likes

I moved from a C4 to a C7 hub and the thermostat update won't work. When I try to create a new instance I get a namespace error. I have tried to reinstall the app with no change in the error. My hub is up to date. What can I do??

Is this worth the app, or the rule method?

With the app I used your updater parent and child for the other system and it worked just fine. Now after I installed the app in the new system I get a namespace error when I try to create a new child. If we figure that out I would be happy to use it. I even reinstalled it and got the same error,

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.