Simple Sprinklers

@adamkempenich

Good Morning Adam.
I was hoping you might be able to tell me if i'm setting up the Simple Sprinklers correctly

I have the orbit 12 zone irrigation times...i have a total of 8 zones that are active with valves connected.

When i initially set up the app i set the schedule for 3 days a week, selected all of the 8 zones, duration of 4 mins ( assuming this is per zone ) and a wait of 60 mins as i believe this was a means to repeat the same sequence ( zones and duration ) after a preset time for a deeper soak.

Because i had the time set for early morning ( 4 am) - i'm not typically awake to physically verify which zones were activated, and therefore i would frequently look at the last activity as some means confirm if the zones were watered as scheduled....but i wasn't seeing a consistent execution at 4 Am every morning. This honestly could be a red herring as i noticed that my Orbit dropped out a few times...but none the less, prompted me to do some testing to see if i could figure how this app works.

I did a series of tests. I only did screen captures for 2 of them but they all executed similarly...and what i'm seeing is that regardless if i have more than 1 zone selected...i'm only seeing 1 zone physically activate.

Test routine 1

• Set up 2 zones ( 1 & 5), duration 2 mins, wait 1 min.
    Ovservations:
  • Schedule started at proper time....
    -Device Menu. Both zone 1 and zone 5 showed "open" at the same time
    -Dashboard. Both zone 1 and zone 5 showed 'open" at the same time
  • Logs. looks like entire routine executed in a 2 min interval from start to finish...vs i would have thought would have been at least 5 mins ( 2 mins each zone, 1 min wait between)
  • Physically verified that only zone 5 was activated

Test Routine 2

• Set up 2 zones ( 1 & 3), duration 2 mins, wait 1 min.
    Ovservations:
  • Schedule started at proper time....
    -Device Menu. Both zone 1 and zone 3 showed "open" at the same time
    -Dashboard. Both zone 1 and zone 3 showed 'open" at the same time
  • Logs. looks like entire routine executed in a 2 min interval from start to finish...vs i would have thought would have been at least 5 mins ( 2 mins each zone, 1 min wait between)
  • Physically verified that only zone 1 was activated

So....when i select more than 1 zone in the " set sprinklers - Select Valves to open " only 1 zone physically opens.

I'm hoping i collected enough date to support the problem description

if you could let me know if i'm doing something wrong i'd greatly appreciate it.......or if there is a specific test routine that i could set up for verification..please let m know.

Thanks.
Mac

Initial Setup...for reference of the zones i'm looking to set in a schedule

Test 1

Test 2

The Orbit 12 zone will only open one zone at a time by design no matter how many you select.

1 Like

Just saw this.

In addition to what Sven has said, it looks like your app is functioning normally.

The Wait option is a pause between sprinkler runs. Right now, your sprinklers are running for 4 minutes, pausing for 60, and then running the next set of sprinklers. To repeat a zone after that, you'd have to add it to the queue again.

All of your tests seem normal --- each sprinkler set will run for 2 minutes, then pause for one, before running any other sets that are selected.

To water all of your zones, start with your first Orbit zone under the first open these valves setting.

For each After waiting, repeat for these sprinklers setting, select one valve per box: a new selection box will appear as you fill in each one.

Let me know if any of this is still unclear! :slight_smile:

Thank You Adam. I can work with that.
So if i have this right.

• Set the 1st zone that I want to start with in the 1st sprinkler option
  • Set the duration for the lowest amount of minutes needed for any zone
  • Set the wait between zones. Question...can this be zero...meaning start the next zone in sequence as soon as the previous zone stops?
  • Add the zones in sequence of order desired under "after waiting repeat for these Sprinklers"
  • if I require additional time for any specific zone.....add it in the sequence again

Just a couple of clarifications please to make sure i have the setup understood.

The 1st sprinkler option

• i only need to have a single zone selected here - correct?

Then for each additional zone..simply add in sequence that i want the zones watered....correct?

Lastly...if i want more mins on any specific zone....just add it again in the sequence?

example Need to water 3 zones: 1, 3 & 4......but need zone 1 to have 6 mins, zones 3 & 4, 2 mins each. Would the below be correct?

And on a related note. i think my orbit drops off the system when my home power is disrupted. I know it has dropped off several times and thats the only thing i can correlate it to..and in Houston....it's frequent enough that i cant take a chance, I haven't had to re-pair it though...i just pull the mains power and the battery and it seems to re join. I suppose i could install a zwave plug out there and just have it cycle power every night.....BUT as i was so pleased with the ZEN 16 that i wired into my pool filler....i just ordered 3 more ZEN 16s, a plastic enclosure, a dozen momentary switches and few bus bars....so i have my week end project all lined up!
I did say if you guys got together on this schedule that i would be the 1st to try it on a sprinkler system....Will post the results hopefully by the week end.
thanks again
Mac

There is a issue I have discovered with these Orbit 12 zone timers regarding dropoffs.

If the Hubitat power is cycled by means of a power outage, hub upgrade or reboot it will drop its connection with Hubitat, even though it appears it still receives interrogation it will not operate.

HOWEVER; this ONLY happens if it is being relayed to Hubitat through a repeating device.. If it has a direct connection to Hubitat it will not drop off..

A simple power cycle of the orbit brings it back to life, no need to re-pair.

I have three of these timers and they work great with the exception of the power bug.. What I ended up doing is adding a small enerwave zwave relay in the box so I can power cycle it remotely if it drops off...

Thanks for that info.
I knew there was a power interruption issue and Iโ€™m certain itโ€™s going through repeaters. I do have a spare plug I can add to cycle the power though.
Well. I already have the items ordered for the home made version. Iโ€™m going to have to make it anyway. Will sell which ever one I donโ€™t keep!

My goodies are starting to arrive for my Zen 16 sprinkler system conversion. Yay.

Good day Adam.
If you might be convinced to add another feature to the simple sprinkler app - i have a suggestion that would add some great functionality.
As i noted before - i made a 9 zone z wave irrigation controller using 3 ZEN 16s. Works great. I have them on a schedule, also set up on a dash board and i have virtual switches if i want to either start an off schedule watering or if i want to stop a schedule once started.

I was thinking the only thing missing is adding a rain delay.
I'm certain there are many options but one that might be relatively simple is a switch ( virtual or otherwise) that can be controlled ( even by IFTTT ) that would have a definable duration till it turns back on.

example.
I have created an IFTTT rule that if rain is in the forecast for my Zip Code, IFTTT sends a command to turn off a virtual switch.

Now if that switch could be the trigger for a rain delay, all we would need is the ability to set the duration before that switch times out and reverted to the on position. Personally as i water every day, i'd probably set a 24 hour duration.

• Rain forecasted

• IFTTT sends off command for my switch to turn off ( capability already exists)

• i would have to pre programmed a duration ( 24 hours or what ever duration i choose) that is set in the Simple sprinkler app....therefor sprinkler doesn't activate till the next cycle after the virtual switch comes back on

• if it doesn't look like rain the next day.....i can over ride the IFTTT command by logging on to my dash board and turning the VS back on...thus clearing the timer and allowing the relays / valves to run as scheduled.

• if it rains a second day in a row...im presuming that when IFTTT sends the off command again that there might be an option for that timer to refresh from the last off command...maybe?

Anyway..would be a great addition.
Appreciate your time and consideration.
Regards;
Mac

@agnes.zooz any chance on building a 9 relay device:) just kidding.....i think!

Cheers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.