Simple rule not working.....frustration

I have a very simple rule to adjust outside lights on arrival and then re-adjust 5 minutes later....

Upon arrival, the lights dim to 100 but they never go back to 1.
Can anyone tell me why?

I'm not turning the bulbs off. They are already set to 1 between sunset and sunrise by a simple lighting rule. I just want to turn them up when I get home and then go back to low level.

I just tried the same actions with a virtual button as the trigger...

This works fine. The only differences are the condition of "between sunset and sunrise" and the delay length.

I believe , I've tried both of those methods. At this point, I can't be sure! I've been pulling hair out trying to make what should be a simple rule work.

I'll try changing it again. I'll have to wait until after 11:00 PM, when I get home from work, to see if the rule works properly.

New rule:

...time will tell

1 Like

The issue is most likely that your phone is not "arriving" when you think it is. Are you using your phone for GPS navigation? If not, then it will not update your location to home immediately when you arrive home. You phone is set to only update location by GPS periodically to help save battery power. If you happen to not be updating the location when you arrive home it might take several minutes for you location to update accordingly.

Arrival is working fine. The lights raise to 100 but do not return to 1.

Have you confirmed that the lights you are trying to control can be dimmed to only 1% and still work correctly? Some have a minimum dim level that this is below.

Yes I have a "Simple Lighting" rule that sets them to 1 between Sunset and Sunrise.

have you tested with a virtual switch or button? Seems like your trigger is working fine since the dim to 100 works...so you could do more testing if you changed the trigger something you can do easily. Otherwise your rule looks fine.

Then there is no reason that this wouldn't work. You have no other rule that would cause the lights to raise to 100? Can you show a screenshot of the edit device page for this device?

I can later. Have to leave for work now. If the updated rule does not work tonight, I will try some of the suggestions from here.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I found that when I set one of my Lutron dimmers to 1 the light would come on, but Hubitat still should it as off - when I looked at the device information. So the automation wouldn’t run correctly. When I changed it to 10% it would then show as on.

Got home last night and "arrived" 4 times...

The lights were set, to 100, 3 times (according to device events) and then back to 1.
(I actually went out and looked. They were dimmed)
The change back to 1% was not indicated in device events or on my dashboard. The change to 1...100...1 at 11:18 - 11:19, seen below, is me making changes manually to check.

Apparently, mobile presence is still not reliable. I have a seperate presence sensor in my truck that seems to be reporting more consistently...

Looks like my rule is working but event reporting and mobile presence are a little funky.

The bulbs in question are connected through a Hue bridge. I may have to try connecting them directly to HE and see if this works better.

1 Like

Yeah. It all seems kind of pointless anyway. I'm out of my vehicle and inside before HE even knows I'm home. THEN the lights go up. The whole exercise was not worth the effort.

You said you have no problem with the lights going up? So, the problem was your arrival home being delayed then?

Apparently

Update.....
I connected the 2 hue bulbs directly to HE. The rule seems to be working well. I can see the lights go up as I approach my driveway. :grinning: And, they dim as the should after 5 minutes. I cannot say if this is a result of direct connection to HE or an app or system update. The one glitch still present is that, one of the lights, although returning to a level of 1, still shows 100 in device details and on my dashboard. It does return to reporting correctly after it is turned off at sunrise.

2 Likes