Simple Rule not working after update to 2.0.4.113

release 2.0.4.113 - Chrome 70.0.3538.77 - Windows 10 - 1803

I have a simple rule that stopped working after update to 2.0.4.113
I've looked at the App Events page and NO events are scheduled.
Rebooted = no change

I have two other rules that are structurally similar that work fine and show scheduled events.
This is an "old" rule that has not been changed for some time.

I could just delete the non-functioning rule and reenter. My guess is it will solve the immediate issue, however I've not done that in case there is some troubleshooting information yet to be garnered.

Could you do a test for me? Change the sunset restriction from offset +30 to -30 and save, then look if you got the scheduled jobs

I believe something is wrong with the offset. Anything in positive doesn't work but negative is fine.

1 Like

Good call, that seems to be the case.

I changed the +30 --> -30 = still no scheduled events

Then I changed the +220 to -2 = scheduled events reappeared.

All my other sunset / sunrise related rules have only negative offsets.

John

Yes, I noticed after my post you had +220 so it should be negative too to work, I think this is bug.

I have a rule not working and it worked from day 1 with HE. It has nothing in offset, so adding -1 fixed the schedule

@bravenel

I also noticed that "0" or more correctly "blank" offsets do not work either.

John

@bravenel

Thanks @vjv, I was wondering about some of my sunrise/sunset lights not working. Now I know why.

1 Like

I can confirm that my rule with -1 worked fine this sunrise.

Ahhh so that's what happening.
I thought I had done something and messed it up.

+1

sunset + offset doesn't generate a scheduled job until sunset, at which time it schedules for offset minutes later. So what you showed above shed no light on whether it was set up correctly or not. @vjv is leading you astray, because - offset does have to schedule something at a set time. The hub throws events at both sunrise and sunset, and these are subscribed to. So you're looking for the wrong thing,

I waited until sunset yesterday (i thought it must wait until sunset), I looked and no schedule was there.

1 Like

I can confirm that this works. Did you update to the hot fix release? You're going to have to show me proof that it's not working. I just tested it using the production code, it created the scheduled job as expected.

Thanks...
I will keep monitoring the thread.
Anyway I did redo the rules affected and things seem ok now.
No way for me to troubleshoot it on my end anymore.

How? You should wait to the sunset, or there is another way to confirm this so I can do it?

Just have a small app throw a sunset event. Probably want to be able to throw a sunrise event just after to return things to normal. Sunset triggers in Simple Lighting, and sunset plus offset (after sunset) use a subscription to the sunset event.

event is named "sunset", value is true, and you use sendLocationEvent().

Come on Bruce, you know I don't have that skills, sometimes I think you do it on purpose...

I'm sorry, I don't know what skills you have or don't have. You asked how, so I answered that question,

1 Like

No problem, I will change my name to dumb so then I receive the proper answers, like the little app to test if my system works instead a suggestion to create an app. Thanks.

Lol you did change your name to dumb.

I don't think that Bruce response was ill advised. I believe Bruce had in fact good intentions.

If you work often with very skilled technical people they are often very direct and with little patience spans on things.
So give it some slack as I believe he has a lot on his plate latterly. :wink:

release 2.0.4.113 - Chrome 70.0.3538.77 - Windows 10 - 1803

Ok, I make a note of this.

I updated yesterday very near sunset and my scheduled event of "sunset +220" was somehow lost. I suspect this is the root cause.

In my mind this is no big deal, I've seen some peculiarities when updating firmware. As for the event schedule entries, they are a troubleshooting aid and one must fully understand their meaning to use them. In the end the only requirement is the scene triggers when it s supposed to.

@bravenel
I am not trying to be a wise ___ but I noticed sunset with no offset did not create a scheduled event. By your explanation I would assume there will never be a scheduled event SHOWN in the event page for sunset with no offset. I'm not saying it won't work but there just won't be a scheduled event shown. Is this correct.

@vjv
I don't think you are dumb so your change in avatar name is not descriptive of your intelligence.

Yes, this is correct. It will only use a subscription to the sunset event, not anything scheduled for that. The scheduler is happening in the hub internals to cause the sunset event to be thrown at the correct time, but this has nothing to do with the app itself.