Simple Rule modification for new user

We often forget to close garage doors at night. We have tilt sensors on them, and open them through a zooz relay.

I've been able to set up a notification on my phone when they open.
What I'd like to do is set it so IF they are open at say 10p, then it sends me a notification.

How can i accomplish this?

This is a good candidate for an intro to Rule Machine, as it is both not natively available via any stock app (as far as I can think of), and it would be pretty easy to write. Try something like this:

Trigger events: Time is 10 PM (choose "Certain time" as the capability for the trigger to make this)

Actions to run:

IF (Garage door is open) THEN
  Notify: "Garage door is open, but it's 10 PM."
END-IF

To answer a common question when rules are provided in a format like I just did: no, you cannot input this text directly. Rules must be built using the drop-downs and other options in the UI. This is just a easy way to demonstrate what the end result should look like. For example, to create that first "IF THEN," in your actions section, start with "Select an action type to add," choose "Conditional Action," then for "Select Which Action," choose "IF (conditions) THEN" and continue filling in everything you need.

If you're not sure where to find a specific action, the "List of Actions" section in the Rule 4.0 docs may be helpful: Rule-4.0 - Hubitat Documentation (and the Rule 4.0 docs thread that is more or less the same thing is also good reading with more examples and explanations). Also, always use the buttons in the RM UI to navigate, never the "Back" button in your browser.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your first rule!

3 Likes

I have my garage doors warn me if the are left open for 5 mins between sunset and sunrise. I took a different approach and just used the notification app. I put the delay in the setting and the time settings in the restrictions section. The notification app also gives me the ability to repeat the notification. Pretty simple and works well.

2 Likes

I saw a guy that turns on a couple of lights and changes the color to red if the garage door is open after a certain time. Kind of a nice visual indicator.

just automate the garage doors and have them close when the house arms and changes to night mode.. unless you like all the alerts.. I do that for doors left open but not the garage since i can just close it..

This is definitely easier if it meets your needs. I didn't suggest it to the OP because they wanted a notification if the door was open at a specific time, something that the Notifications app will not do (restrictions don't cause anything to happen on their own when they become no longer in effect; an event on the device needs to happen).

Just something to keep in mind, depending on what you want!

Yes, I see what you are saying. You need the trigger to check for a already opened door. Well, time to rewrite mine in RM. Thanks for the reply.

So I'm using two trigger events? "10p" and "Garage open".
It seems its working with any of the above events, not both of the above events.

How can I add that qualifier?

You need conditional actions, like I have above with my IF. In your case, you would need to AND two conditions together: IF (Garage Door open AND Time is Between 10 PM and 6 AM) THEN or whatever you're looking for.

In Rule Machine, any event matching a trigger will make your actions run, so you need to handle checking states (conditions) in the actions section.

That was me, I believe. :wink:

I have done it two ways...via the Event Engine app, and via RM, and the Event Engine app is MUCH easier. :slight_smile: You can get visual (light turning on) and other actions when your cog fires (door is open)...I chose to just turn on a light and make it red if they doors/windows are open, as it works for the whole family.

Event Engine "Cog":

Rule Machine Rule:

1 Like

Ive got it! Thanks.
Now hub notifies me at 9p if either garage door are open and automatically closes them at 10p, if they are still open,

1 Like