Simple question regarding lights

Just starting out with RM and I am wondering if I have lights that are off and I want to have them turn on and be set at a certain brightness, do I have to first turn them "on" and then set the brightness in two different Actions? Or by just setting the brightness level it will turn the lights on and adjust the brightness?

All the drivers we have for dimmer devices will turn on the light with just a setLevel command, so if it's off it will turn it on.
No need to turn it on first.

Perfect thanks! How would I Turn some lights on and set them to 50% at 5:00 am and then wait until sunrise and turn them off?

Using RM...

Time between 5:00 and Sunrise
When true, setLevel 50%
When false, turn off

Simple Lighting should be able do this too, easier than RM. I'm not at home so I can't look, and don't remember the setup off hand.

I didn't think of it this way. Thanks!

1 Like

Simple Lighting won't do it because when you select a specific time then it wants a specific time to shut off. It won't let you choose sunrise to shut off.

Just make 2 simple rules. One for ON and one for off. It's more flexible this way.

If you don't have a bunch of conditions, then simple lighting is the best way. Like @Navat604 said use an on rule and an off rule. I set up an on rule in simple lighting for my kitchen and dining, but used RM for the off rule because I wanted more conditions met before it turned off. It's flexible that way. They don't interfere with each other.

But as soon as there are any conditions then RM has to be used I guess. So my above example is fine to use Simple Lighting except that I would like a condition of days of the week for turning them on.

Yes, because you can't restrict to days in simple lighting. RM would probably be more efficient. I found that I set stuff up on simple lighting and then decided on some other "wants" and ended up converting to RM anyway in some cases. I'm sure you're well versed in RM, but if you want any input, post up and I'll try to help.

Thanks! I could use the help! Just starting out with RM and trying to move my WC pistons over. I will be posting alot!:wink:

1 Like