Simple Motion Lighting - Not Turning Off

My bathroom lights stopped turning off after the delay. I didn't change the rule or anything. This seems to be happening with 2 of my motion lighting rules, but not 2 others.

It's a fairly simple rule. Did you try to recreate the rule? Have you made any changes to your mesh that you might have affected communication? Zigbee or zwave equipment?

Any restrictions?

No changes that I know of. Zigbee motion sensors and Caseta switches.

My next step was going to be to recreate the rule, but I saw other threads that seemed to indicate that it didn't help.

Edit: Recreated the rule with no restrictions and it worked. Continuing to troubleshoot...

@napalmcsr Just a time restriction.

Oh! I think I figured it out. I had it set to trigger from either the "bathroom" sensor or the "shower" sensor (since when you're in the shower, you're out of sight of the bathroom sensor, and I didn't want the lights going off).

However, the shower sensor has lost communication somehow, and its last state was "active." So the rule is always true essentially.

Ok, nothing to see here, go on about your day. Now to figure out how to reconnect the shower motion sensor...

2 Likes

Your restriction makes no sense. Between 6am and 1am? That spans noon and midnight and might not be handled properly by Simple Lighting. I would suggest limiting by mode instead. You don't run into the troubles with time that are the bane of every programmer who ever programmed.

I have to disagree. The restriction works fine. It just makes sure the rule only fires during the daytime. There is a parallel rule that goes from 1am to 6am that is the same except it sets the lights to 40% so we aren't blinded when we get up in the middle of the night to pee.

Mode hasn't been reliable for me (especially regarding location), so I haven't been using Mode Manager at all.