Simple Lighting Sunset/Sunrise

I've events tied to Sunrise. I had planned to do some sunrise + time for changing the mode to daylight. But I changed my mind. Events set for sunrise work just fine. At this time however I just don't see the value in screwing around with + and - minutes tied to sunrise for me. All of my + - minute adjustments tied to sunset are working just fine.

I pass on more once I talk to tech support on the trouble ticket I opened.

1 Like

I'm having the same issues

Read what I was told to do, there are several posts prior to this where @oldcomputerwiz goes that go into detail. Once you get success, you won't have to do it again. It's apparently a bug that just started a little over a week ago.

Follow directions in this part and see if it works for you.

But what happens for Sunrise with a positive offset? Changing location, then back again does not schedule a new event, but a rule with a negative offset is immediately rescheduled.

I think maybe a rule does not get scheduled until actual Sunrise the next day for Sunrise with a positive offset. Or, a cron job runs at midnight to set all events for that day.

Apparently the HE has a sidereal clock function internally, so is not getting events from the cloud.

Don

That job does not get scheduled until after sunrise occurs.

A rule that has a minus offset that is created before midnight will create a job with the beforeSunriseHandler to execute at 12:00:00:10 am. This job SHOULD schedule the sunset minus job if the system has your location correct.

There could be other scenarios too but this is what I found while chasing this issue for 3 days.

Also, it appears that you will NEVER actually see a job scheduled for sunrise (or sunset) with no offsets.

If eveything is working as it should, you will see an entry in system events when sunrise and sunset occur on your system.

Thanks!

Odd that HE does not calculate the exact time, including the offset, and just schedule that, but I'm sure the developers had their reasons.

I opened another thread on my issue, as the scenario did not quite match what you were dealing with. You can see the logs there.

In my case the System Events log showed NO job scheduled for today, although jobs were properly scheduled for all other days since I set up the rule.

Times are in UTC or Zulu time. Local sunrise has been about 5:30 AM, which is exactly when my +20 minute jobs were being scheduled.

I rebooted and resaved the rules. Hopefully that will kick start the scheduling process.

Regards,

Don

In my case I was having issues with sunset -45 minutes. When looking at the job that was generated I found that the time field to run the job was blank. That's why the app constantly failed.

As noted I changed my location via the map to 30-40 feet from my home location. And saved that. Then I went back to the app and saved it. Then back to the app again hitting the gear box and I saw a new job generated for the app that was supposed to run at 12:00:10 am on the next day for getting the sunset time. After that job executed a new job was built in the app to run the app at the proper time. I've not had to do this again because now it generates the next day's run of the app to the proper adjusted time. In the mean time I changed my location on the map back to the top of my home. All is well, Note that after it executes that job, it takes a little time for it to generate the next day's timing. The key is after doing the location change saving that change. Going back to the app and saving it. Then you see that 12:00;10 am job generated for the next day. Once you see that you know from that point on that the problem has been corrected. I have no offset timed jobs on sunrise. Just using sunrise has always worked. The key for me is the offset + or - feature was the function not working correctly.

In my case my sunrise was being scheduled for the prior day during my 12:00:00.10 beforeSunriseHandler job. My sunset worked perfectly. It seems were all plagued with sunrise/sunset issues but each with it's own twist.

The other thing I noticed was I was not seeing an entry in system events for sunrise but did see one for sunset. Since I moved my location and resaved my rules, I have not had any sunrise/sunset issues.

New release of the software at this point with changes that I think addresses this problem. We will see.

Are you saying a bug has been found and new software has been released/yet to be released?

I saw a new software release today 5/20 and I did see in the detail of the changes that there were updates to sunset and sunrise. I'm assuming that it's to address this problem. I went ahead and updated about 45 minutes ago.

Strange I haven't received an email saying there's an update available but your right there is one.

I'm not sure if these are announced or whether they depend on you to occasionally check. I am still actively working on things so that's why I stumbled into it.

No email here either

Here are the release notes for versions .129 & .130. The changes to sunset/sunrise was in a previous release (notes were not immediately updated).

@bobbyD Any update on this issue? I've had my hub for 3 days now and the simplest thing I tried so far is the thing that does not work! Light switch on at sunset, off at sunrise (via the slider setting "also turn off at sunrise"). I used the Simple Automation Rules. As others reported here, the light turns on at sunset but does not turn off at sunrise. I've now updated to HE version 2.2.3.118, rebooted and moved my location a few feet. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning. This is the last thing I would have expected to have a problem with on a home automation hub. I'll keep learning and plugging away because I think that HE has a tremendous amount of potential. But I sure hope the folks at HE get this figured out.

Hi there, thank you for your feedback and sorry for the troubles. This issue has been referred to our engineering team and is under investigation. If you don't mind, could you please PM me a screenshot of your "System Events" page for the "Location Events" tab to confirm that is the same problem that is under investigation?

1 Like

I can't get lights to come on at sunset, off at sunrise on my new c7 hub. Using simple automation rules, and there is nothing listed for "scheduled jobs".

I have the same issue, does not seem resolved yet