Simple change of E Mail Address - Why is it so difficult/does not work?

I'm trying to change my e mail due to the s**t show they call Virgin Media in the UK.

Starting with the registered admin on the hub at my.hubitat.com. I can only change the admin user to another registered user so I left that for now (as the new e mail address is not a registered user)....

I've gone to Preferences on community.hubitat.com, clicked the spanner icon next to my e mail and entered the new address. I've then received an e mail at the new address to confirm - done that and further received a notification of the new address at the old address. However I cannot login to the community using the new e mail address as the username; I have to use the old details. So I guess I'm stuck with the redundant e mail address as the username?

Now back to the registered admin on the hub - how do I change it to the new e mail address? Can I now specify my new e mail address as changed on the community, or do I need to do something else? This simple change is proving more difficult than my first attempt at Rule Machine 2 years ago!

That's the first thing you'll need to do--create an account for the new e-mail address. Then, you can use the "Replace Admin" feature to replace the account on your hub using your old e-mail address with the one for your new e-mail address. See here:

I can't remember quite how changing things on the Community works other than that I use my Hubitat account for login (not sure if the social options still work, but I wouldn't recommend them anyway...) and think I was able to add it as an additional/alternate e-mail account, make it the "primary" (both after verifying), then remove my old one. This may differ depending on how you registered your account initially.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it doesn't work properly. I've now created a new account, authenticated it with the received PIN. After several attempts I got logged in to the new account and it's showing no registered hubs as expected. So I've logged out of the new account, back in to the old account. I've then gone to the replace admin section and entered the new account e mail. I get 'user not found'

Might need some help from @support_team if it's not finding your new account/address.

3 Likes

Make sure you use the same format when you created the new account (all lower case letters). Any case variations will trigger the user not found error. Once you successfully replaced the admin account, it should change the community as well. Sometimes the community may get out of sync. If you have problems, you can ping me and I'll update your community account.

I'm receiving community e mails at the new address but have to login using the old address as the user name.

I created the the new account with all lower case and I can log in to it at my hubitat. However when I log in to the old account and enter the new address (in all lower case exactly as previously input) I get the 'user not found'. I've cleared browser history several times just in case but it makes no difference.

I've managed to change the registered e mail address for the hub but it's not at all as detailed in the instructions. I had to:

• Create a new account and authenticate it with the PIN. Every time I tried to add that address in the 'replace admin' section I just got the 'user not found' error
  • So I had to first add the newly created user account as a guest
  • Then use the 'replace admin' at which point it was successful

The Hubitat account email address is case sensitive? How does that not create a ton of support issues when email addresses are not case sensitive?

2 Likes

It does, the problem was that Cognito (the 3rd party service we use for authentication) didn't have an option to use case insensitivity when we first implemented the service. They offer that option now, and it is on our radar to change it in the future...

1 Like

Glad you were able to make it work. Adding a guest shouldn't be required. We will try to replicate the issue and correct it, as that isn't the way is supposed to work.

1 Like

Yeah it was strange, I tried multiple times and continued to get the no user found message. I cleared the browser history, tried different browsers just in case it was a quirk with Safari, all to no avail. This morning I thought "I wonder if...." and added the new account as a guest which worked, then immediately filled the same address in the replace admin again and it worked.

1 Like

Have you tried without the guest this morning? It may take up to 24 hours for the new account to become available. I think that may have been the problem...

Yes I tried once more this morning without adding as a guest and it still didn't work, so then I added the e mail address as guest and subsequently switched admin user.