Simple Automation Failing

Hello, I have a question about "simple" automations. 'Trying to turn on devices based on luminance, it worked poorly (10% of the time). Went back to sunrise/set--same problem. Cut it down to a specific on time, and one device (LoS, ~2m distance). Same thing: no reliable automation.

I can toggle all of the devices on/off through the device menu. I get 2/3 success from the dashboard (often the title says "sending" but the action has already completed!).

'Have tried deleting the rule, building new one, shutting down the hub, power cycling the C-7, rebooting, and waiting ten or twenty minutes. No dice. Nothing in the logs--it as if it never tried to run!

Z-Wave map looks good (as I say, one device was 6' away with line-of-sight). Using simple automation rules 1.2 and platform version 2.3.2.131.

Thoughts?

-Jeff B.

What device brand/model is this?

The Dashboard not responding properly is likely a symptom of the root cause of the automation issue. In other words, if it doesn't work reliably from the Dashboard, it may not work well in an automation.

Does the device respond 100% if you use the Device's setting page? And do the States in the upper right corner of the settings page follow exactly what the device is doing?

Can you post a screenshot of your Zwave Details page?

2 Likes

@jbarber313 This... Lets see your z-wave details page and work backwards to the root cause.

Sounds excellent, guys, here's what I have:

Which switch is having trouble with automation?

OxOA appears to be a ghost node. That alone could cause all your problems.

4 Likes

I'm with @neonturbo , likely that bathroom fan switch needs re paired. That said your mesh looks poor. I see only 2 devices at 100k where as everything else is below 40. This shows a lack of close repeaters in your mesh.. The stats indicates a distance issue. Putting in repeaters between these devices and the hub will improve your mesh considerably. Another option "may" be to move the hub more centrally in the house to improve communication speed.

2 Likes

I didn't know that about missing nodes--that one is a plug fan switch I haven't found yet (just moved).

I'll kill that and add back in some more Z-Wave plus devices (plus devices having repeaters, or am I over simplifying?) and purchase a few repeaters. Good start?

Thank you. I'll update as I go.

1 Like

Ok, I had to click force remove on that 0x0A device (as I cannot find it), here's what I have (two and three hops still on some nodes):

If you do add repeaters (sounds like it would be a very good idea), you should probably remove the Zooz and Jasco switches that are paired with S2 and pair them again with no security. That should also help.

1 Like

That sounds good....

I know it's been a month, but I wanted to thank you guys. I've added a couple more Z-Wave Plus devices, disabled authentication (on all but barrier devices), and bam, all at 100-kbps, automation works as it should.

Thanks for helping this noobie!

2 Likes

One thing you need to be careful of, is if you have a failed Z-Wave pairing, STOP! Check your settings>>z-wave details page. If a ghost was created (you will see nothing in the routing column), it needs to be removed first. If you don't remove it you will start having problems with your mesh including pairing new devices. After removing the ghost, factory reset the device and attempt to pair again. Rinse and repeat. This is one of the biggest keys to having a healthy mesh.

1 Like

Copy that. 'Haven't run into it yet, but I know now...

2 Likes