Simple 1 button, on or off

I think i found it, I answered my own question.

the two boxes got me, "Select action type to add" is what I was supposed to do, and that would add it to the bottom. I am kinda flustered trying to figure this all out, but I think I got it.. Thanks everyone.. sorry for me being a dummy here..

1 Like

No worries! And unfortunately no amount of helpful forum posts substitutes for just spending time in RM and hacking away at it. Some of the nuances of the mechanics aren't obvious.

There are usually people to chime in if you get stuck, though. And once in a while we even give helpful advice instead of being annoying (although I'm probably annoying more than helpful). :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes

You pretty much have to get the order correct the first time. You can edit rules but the UI for that isn't very robust and often can be confusing. You cannot move conditions around, you can only insert before another line.

1 Like

The END-IF is added, but has no effect.

The delays work as intended - not overloading my trådfri mesh with zigbee commands (heard somewhere that Hue can handle 10 commands/second and it seems to be working)

Since I have renamed my modes and lights at different times, I thought maybe there was a bug somewhere, but I remade the entire rule and I still have the same issue. It never does the else IF, even though the mode changes correctly. Can someone see why?

Bumping this. It seems the rule executes properly when I run it with the "Run Actions"-button in Rule Machine, but whenever I use the physical Xiaomi Button, it doesn't care about the Else-If.

Might it be that the button sends too many responses for each button press so that rule machine gets confused?

Pressing the button just now generated quite a few events;

This post helped me a lot. I am trying to do exactly what @eaton.blumenstein was trying to do, which is learn the mechanics behind a simple toggle function, and learn it the hard way so I know how to use RM more efficiently. Since you guys helped me, let me try to help you for what it's worth in the future.

HOW YOU COMMUNICATE IS IMPORTANT

Both @eaton.blumenstein and @Ryan780 are obviously smart people, but they couldn't get on the same page. Eaton if you go back and carefully read all of your posts in this thread, you will find several instances where words and/or punctuation were missing, and then there's the semantics of a "button" versus a "switch", which may or may not make a difference, but does add to the confusion. I am not a grammar Nazi or an English teacher, but shtuff like that matters, especially on forums and what not. My problem is that I'm super-OCD and I take forever trying to express my thoughts clearly, but I'm sure there's a middle ground. Honestly, when I read your first post, I almost left because I wasn't sure that we had the same issue. I kept reading, and realized we had the EXACT SAME issue - you wanted to learn how to write an IF/ELSE statement, but you didn't know that was the name for it (neither did I).

Thank you JNS and JasonJoel for providing the answer. Obviously @Ryan780 knows what he is doing, but wasn't able to interpret exactly what Eaton needed because of some communication errors. Ryan was trying to be helpful, he just got a little snippy when Eaton wasn't crystal clear about his issue, then Eaton got frustrated with Ryan's line of questioning and so forth. Some may think the issue was obvious, but people can read things differently, especially when there is some ambiguity.

MORAL OF THE STORY

Just read your posts before you click the button. Ask yourself if you would understand your own question if you had no knowledge of the situation. When trying to help other people, check your tone. Did you write anything that might have come off as a little demeaning? This is all sounds really lame and preachy, but it's just a SUPER important lesson to learn.

I really like the forum here, and I appreciate everyone who takes the time to help us new folks out. That's why I pulled out this soap box, for whatever it's worth.

PS - I just proofread this post and I am laughing at myself for being such a dork. Whatever. I try to contribute where I can.

Cheers!

3 Likes