Silly device ideas for home automation

I would like a smart treadmill that can be set to automatically complete my exercise schedule remotely before my morning wake up alarm.

4 Likes

2 cats, 1 dog. Equal opportunity, as they have all exercised the Oxy carpet cleaner. Lately, the cats get the dog all wound up when they feel that I slept in too late (6am).

I have my Neabot vacuum programmed to vacuum just around the litterbox three times a day.

Not integrated with Hubitat.

It would be nice to put a motion sensor above the litterbox and trigger the vacuum "on demand", though.

There is a WiFi version of the Litter Robot that would lend itself to this type of integration. Should be straightforward, albeit pricey.

1 Like

I saw those.

Not ready for a $700 litterbox.

:no_mouth:

1 Like

A mere $499 now, but still steep. Based solely on reduced litter consumption, I estimate that we saved $150 in the first year. Since it is a robot, it somehow became my chore, so I still ended up losing on the deal.

1 Like

Litter Robot is great .. Unless you have a cat that tends to have soft feces on occasion. Then it just smears all over the inside of the globe.

Ask me how I know this...

2 Likes

Well for the cat owners, I can say I have had a couple of Littermaid self cleaning litterboxes. Not exactly Hubitat compable per se, but....

The quality of them went downhill a LONG time ago. Our first one lasted 10 years of trouble free operation.

We replaced it with the multi cat model when it finally failed. The multi cat model failed within the warranty period. The replacement failed within its warranty period, and so on until I got tired of sending failed units in for warranty, and I am sure Littermaid was tired of hearing form me...

Clumped litter would get bound up in the gear track and was impossible to remove, due to a design change that made it MUCH harder to get any sort of tools like a pipe cleaner or small bottle brish in toward the track to clean it out... They made it smaller and thus much harder to maintain, and with a cat kicking clumped litter into the track no good came of it...

Hopefully they changed the design back. I want another one...

1 Like

I think you can poor cement on it and make a very good concrete ! :thinking:

Is there a driver/app for the Litter Robot? We got one recently from someone that was giving it away (their cat would jump in every time it started rotating, which would stop the rotation).

Yes, ported from SmartThings by Dominic Meglio (@dman2306), and it is excellent:

You need the Litter Robot Connect version. There is an upgrade kit if you got the non-connect version.

I also wrote a few rules that implement Jared Zimmerman’s (@jared.zimmerman’s) traffic light indicator for when it needs emptying, notifies us by changing color of under-vanity lights.

This is exactly what I was just looking for. I didn't have much hope. The kids can never close the door to my office and my dog is always on the wrong side of the door.

My weirdest automation is a rat trap. We've had an issue with a few large ones in the garden and I got sick of constantly checking/rebating, so:

• Trapper T Rex Rat Trap
  • One (suitably waterproofed) Neo Coolcam Z Wave Contact fitted to the above
  • One RM rule

When the trap fires it activates a flashing tile on my SharpTools dash, pushes a message to my iPhone and plays a clip from Rat In Mi Kitchen by UB40 on the Sonos

It works a treat but it's clear I have too much time on my hands lol :grimacing:

1 Like

How about a robo-mower large enough for 2, 5, or 10 acres? I would have to buy 4-5 of those large Husqvarna that cost well over $4K each plus installation to cover my yard. For $20K, It would probably be cheaper to just hire it out.

I also would like a device to drive the trash bin to the street (long driveway).

A middle of the night dog walker robot. (no fence here, and impractical to do so)

And a flower bed auto-weeder. I just can't keep up with the weeds but love having pretty plants and flowers around the house.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.