Significance of "response(.....)" method

By looking at many examples it seems like the "response" method runs some other method or create a zwave event. However I have to believe there some other significance else it wouldn't exist. I found it in the Habitat Documentation, however it was in the TBD (to be documented) list.

Thanks
John

Assuming it works the same way on Hubitat, this bit from the classic ST docs should answer this question:

https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/device-type-developers-guide/building-z-wave-device-handlers.html#sending-commands-in-response-to-events

I never use it since as far as I can tell, there isn't anything you can do with it that you can't already do via either the "typical" method for sending a Z-Wave commands--either the return value of a Hubitat command or "manually" with sendHubAction(), as you've seen in other threads. I guess maybe it saves a bit of typing compared to creating a HubAction manually if you're doing the latter? (And really, you still have to do something with it either way--calling it doesn't send anything on its own.) I'd love to hear what people actually like to use this for. It's rare in Hubitat drivers from what I've seen, but I suppose I haven't seen everything. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks.

I had seen the Smartthings text (usually the 2nd place I look), but even with their I was unable to determine what benefit it offered. However I've found the Smartthings documentation assumes I'm more advance that I am :slight_smile:

It offers no real benefit, we don't use it internally, it likely exists for compatibility reasons.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.