Show Off Your HA Hardware

Seems a bit self-indulgent to setup a thread like this, but I'm certainly not here to gloat...

Obviously I am looking for inspiration for those who have achieved a nice, tidy, well cable-managed setup, although equally, those who have ended up where I am ...

I have my own ideas on what I plan to do, but would love to see people exchange ideas and photos of their own setup.

Simon

2 Likes

omglol! Well for a start, to give myself space to think, i'd have the excess cableage (no, not cabbage) behind that unit or table or whatever it is, out of sight!

2 Likes

That’s a lot of devices. I just have my Hubitat, Hue bridge and an old laptop. I was heading in your direction on an end table but then I decided to add a shelf at the top of the basement stairs. Moved the cable modem to the basement ceiling right by the electrical panel and ran a 50ft Ethernet cable to the router (reasoning, I had ethernet cables and ends around but not coaxial long enough). The laptop may eventually get replaced by a RPi but it works for now.

1 Like

I keep everything in the garage on some shelves.

2 Likes

I have my devices with radio (Hubitat, Lutron, Hue) on the top shelf of my computer desk.

The rest are in the basement with the rest of my network gear.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Winner!

:smiley:

4 Likes

Older picture. It's changed a bit (improved)

2 Likes

Spot on @Inge_Jones, at least with my initial plans. For some time I have wanted to construct a wooden cabinet with all the nooks and crannies I want for running cables, ventilation, nicely finished with stain / lacquer, etc, both as a way to achieve what I want and an interesting project. But reality has sunk in and am thinking I will probably tidy up the cables and devices inside and on the back of the low-line entertainment unit.

My addiction has grown so quickly over only a few months, I really need to address the fire hazard behind my TV called Hubtown. Out of sight out of mind I guess. :fire_engine:

1 Like

Pretty much everything in the cabinet, but Hubitat hub, Caseta pro, and Hue are all more centralized on POE.

4 Likes

This is my setup in my Florida apartment.
Partial network gear are behind the shelf.

2 Likes

Had to share the current state of things.

5 Likes

Nice....!!! That's where I want to get to, much more organised and well laid out. Did a few things since I setup the thread, but have lost the momentum, even though I got delivery of some more Velcro ties and some for mounting devices. Will try and get stuck in again sometime soon and take some photos....

1 Like

I also posted this picture in a Unifi Facebook group that I'm in. And I got to say the reception on both ends feels really good I always thought it was a bit amateurish but apparently not at all.

1 Like

I think it's the funny thing about this stuff (cable management), the actual process of doing it is relatively simple and low-tech compared to some of the other aspects of IT, but the effect of seeing a nice, neat layout is quite surprising.

1 Like

Are you saying my cabling isn't neat?

I think it's funny how things evolve over time, that picture is from about 10 years ago. Back then electricity was cheap, no problem running big tower servers for everything!

Nowadays there's not a single tower in sight and it only took 10 years to finally sort the cable management.

9 Likes

At least you had a door to hide the "neatness"... :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Agreed. Really like the fact that I don't need them power hungry humming servers in the hallway closet anymore. Fiber internet A proper network setup, NAS and a few Pi's is all you need these days.

1 Like

Very nice indeed.