Setup Using Motion and Aqara FP1 Presence Sensor

So, I think I know the answer, but wanted to see if anyone else has an idea that I haven't thought of. I have two rooms with Aqara FP1 presence sensors. They have about a 5-7 second delay before reporting activity. In RL, I have these paired with standard PIR motion sensors to get instant on for the lights. Then "off" is controlled by the FP1 activity to make sure the lights do not go out while the room is occupied.

The "problem" popped up last night. My dog ran into the room and right back out. Was long enough for the PIR sensor to pick him up and turn the lights on. It was not long enough for the FP1 to flip, so the light was never turned off.

I already know how to handle this using RM, but was curious if there's a way to account for it in RL that I've either not found or not thought of.

I use both sensors inactive (PIR and FP1) to turn off. Thus, in case the dog came in and triggered the PIR sensor, the OFF gets delated till they are both not active.

1 Like

Oh duh...geez. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just slap both on there. I think I had the thought that they are OR'd not AND'd.

5-7 seconds delay for FP1 to report ''motion active' is also a bit unusual... Do you have it aimed away from the room entrance?

No, but it's on the opposite end of the room, on a shelf about 7' up and angled downward. I have the distance set to far but sensitivity set to medium. The door is typically left open and didn't want the lights kicking on when someone walks by. The room is my wife's office and the FP1 is angled down at her chair.

I'm actually not concrete on the average time as that would take a bit of testing. Ultimately, for this problem though, the dog ran in twice last night and the FP1 did not pick him up. The PIR is above the door facing into the room and did pick him up both times.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.