Serious question - If you were to die tomorrow, how long would your HA implementation last before

Well, there is the problem. I only migrated to HE 9 months ago. :grinning:

1 Like

As an adjunct other half always on about my boxes/toys. “You do realise that if you died all those would just get binned as no one but you knows what they are or what they’re worth”. .. or wants them probably.

Yep. My serious answer to this serious question is that my wife would call an electrician and replace every light switch in the house with regular ones within a week or two of my death. Done.

She likes the automation. But not so much that she wouldn't just replace the smart switches with regular switches if she had to.

4 Likes

well.... we all know THAT's wrong. Had that half said, "or knows what the hell you've done with them" there might be some truth there. :crazy_face:

Make sure I'm named in your will :wink: I have an almost empty loft now to store more cr4p in!

1 Like

As morbid as it is, I've thought about it too. Hopefully, I'll be able to transfer a password or two but I figure the house doing weird things for years after my passing causing my family to remember me constantly sounds like a them problem😆

2 Likes

I think half of that is here !

This topic got me to thinking last night and I came up with a simple solution for my wife. If the HUB is down/finished, I have a couple Remotec ZRC-100 controllers she can use. I dug out a couple plug in zwave outlets and programmed them to use for the rear post lights and deck lights. And I programmed a Aeotec DSC06106 dongle for the front post lights. Stuck all this stuff in a zip bag and showed her where she can find them. Pretty simple for her to insert batteries, plug in modules and away she goes. The user manual is in the bag so she could remove and add zwave devices she wants to control. Only shortcoming I see is no timer for timed events. That's my good deed for today.

Ummm.... You don't have a pool boy do you? First thing I would look to if my wife said that to me... :joy:

1 Like

I've started an internally hosted wiki for the purpose of documenting all my home automation, homelab, and general network infrastructure. I've got a friend who has the skills in order to help manage things as needed - but without the documentation it would be a real hassle for them.

It also helps when I find myself thinking "What on earth does this code actually do? I mean... I wrote it, but I'm not even sure how it works at this point!"

2 Likes

That sounds very interesting. Are there nice and clean templates for this sort of thing out there?

It's just a stock bookstacks install on a VM. I use a Caddy reverse proxy to tie it to a domain I own (and set the proxy rules to only allow internal access). So from inside my network it's available at wiki.thedomainiused.com

OK, that was quite a bit of interesting #Weekend_Musing.

A lot of honest assessments,,, and thanks to a number of contributors there's some really good suggestions and approaches.

Thanks for playing along with this "what if"; a good reference for old hands and new hands at HA.

my house will be the same.

All my automation is always a plus on a functional system.
Regular (wifi Venstar T5800 + HE) thermostat hooked as usual: will still work even the router/HE is dead, Backup ready with an old White-rodgers in stand-by (Canada here - always nice to have a 1 minute backup when it's -15F outside - own experience),
Caseta bridge with switches: hooked to main lamps, as usual
important (non-smart) outlets are working the way they should
non smart alarm is functional and connected to a cellular network through a pstn gateway
non smart water heater (HE for data collecting),
non smart geothermal unit (PLC and HE for data collecting) for heating, cooling and venting. I keep 22C along the year, I select heat mode in october and cool mode in may. 2 operations per year. I change the filter every 3 months.
Surveillance cams hooked on standalone DVR/NVR

What I'll loose:
extra optional (and useful) features like open the lights on events/motion, run fans on humidity, obtain statistical info (heating, energy used, etc), obtain events info (mail arrived, doors opened, auto-lock, car charging, etc)

What my wife will loose:
a husband (hmmm, she'll need to change the filter by herself :wink:)

2 Likes

"Revive this topic? The last reply to this topic was almost 2 years ago. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation. Are you sure you want to continue this old conversation?"

Yes.

Hopefully all involved in the conversation from almost 2 years ago are well.

I did a search of the community for "Morbid" before beginning a new topic and landed here; as I have been pondering Hubitat in the house in my thereafter.

My other knits. I do Hubitat.
We both benefit from our respective interests.
My interest however drags them into mine.
It works until I do not.

With the exception of some exterior lighting not responding to motion detection, life will be able to revert to a pre-Hubitat/smartHome(?). As many have noted "others" do not necessarily like to be bothered with the smart doohickies but do readily avail themselves of its presence AND if there is a disruption - duly note it. :slight_smile:
"You're going to miss me when I'm Gone." https://youtu.be/FbKv76tKzoc?si=ftQAxbOzVi2bUfXW

I do think there is another component to the discussion. That being the time between now and the inevitable when you and/or other is no longer functioning at 100%.

Being able to maintain (perhaps even enhance) a smartHome could potentially be an asset to quality of life and living/staying at home.

"672southmain" is on to something.

"I’ve also been fortunate enough to locate a very knowledgeable Hubitat user in our city, and I’ve put his contact info (with his permission) in that file so that she could contact him if I die, to help her with… "

I have no question/answer per se, just typing-pondering aloud as there are others no doubt coming to grips with this reality.

2 Likes

Funny, I was JUST thinking about this discussion when recently reminded how much I haven't done to map out/document the location of devices, their battery needs, and their increasingly cross-functional role in various automations.

I think it was this thread on batteries that jogged my memory. It also reminded me how I have reeled in my zeal to throw battery devices around just anywhere like there's no negative consequences.

I am somewhat disorganised at home with no credible onward adoption documentation. Mostly it all works well…. Until it doesn’t. My other half just constantly jibes me with ‘you do realise we’ll just junk all your junk’ and realistically I believe them . So much attic investment and love intentions … with no future value.

But there’s a realism that life doesn’t always turn out as you plan, and so regretfully I accept that. I’ve had fun along the way and it will keep eBay chugging over.

1 Like