Sensors connect and then go silent

Hi Guys,

I have a few sensors at the far end of my house. A Hue motion sensors and Aqara contact sensor just outside of the house and another Hue motion sensor and two Aqara temperature/humidity sensors, just inside the house. The two sensors outside works, but the sensors inside all connect the first time and then nothing. As the outside sensors work, they presumably are connected to the hub via the sensors on the inside, which are in line with the hub further away. So some of the sensors inside must be connected, but not sending any values.

So why are the sensors inside not sending any values?

Any thoughts?

What does your Zigbee mesh look like? The outside sensors are probably not connected to the inside sensors since everything is battery operated. Do you have any repeaters nearby? Do the inside sensors work if they are connected closer to the hub?

Hi JB10,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I don't know to be honest. Is there a simple way to check that?

I just assumed they are. If you draw a straight line from the hub location to the sort of centre of the outside sensor locations, the other indoor sensors mentioned that does not work are on that line basically. As there are a number of walls inbetween the hub and the sensors outside I would have thought they were to far away?

Yes, there are wallplugs in many rooms and as far as I understand it they should act as repeaters.

I will test if the Hue sensor works in another location.

The Aqara sensors are brand new. Might it be a to big coincident that the two new sensors are not working? I have other Aqara temperature/humidity sensors that work fine. But I am now unsure if they are the same? I noticed that there is an older version, WSDCGQ11LM (Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor), and maybe all others that I have are that version? The ones I bought now are called TH-S02D (Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor T1), and maybe they dont work with the same driver? I did a search for TH- S02D but got no hits. But I don't think the T1 version is that new? Hm. Sorry for rambling, I am just thinking out load.

Zigbee details and how to look at them can be found at Zigbee Details | Hubitat Documentation.

Most likely the outside sensors are connected to a repeater plug (your Zigbee Mesh will be able to confirm this). I would guess the same is true with your indoor ones. What plugs are you using for repeaters? Some play nicer than others.

The Hue sensor should eventually be fine once it finds a path through a repeater. They play well with Hubitat (assuming you are not using a Hue Bridge). As for Aqara, which driver are you using? Some people get them to work fine and others have lots of problems with that brand.

1 Like

Thanks for wise input @JB10

Ah, I haven't looked at that before, many thanks.

Yup, you are right, I found a graph showing the network and in there I can see how all deviced (and some 'unkown') are connected. Cool and informative feature. Do you have any idea on what the 'unkown' can be? :grimacing: :smile:

All plugs are Pilips Hue except one Heimgard (Heiman) Smartplug.

(I noticed that the newly installed underfloor heating thermostat have a second connection. That happens to be to the Heiman smartplug, which happens to be on the other side of the house.)

Interesting. I tried to connect it through the Hue hub and it actually worked :smile:

I use the 'Xiaomi Temperature Humidity Sensor' in the Type* field in the device setup page for both the existing and new Aqara T1s . As I suspected I noticed that the ones I had before is of another type.

The existing ones that work:

The new that does not work:

If you are connecting the hue plugs to your hue hub, then they will not serve as repeaters for Hubitat. They can be directly connected to a Hubitat, or you can run them via Hue. Either way, your mesh looks fine.

My guess is that your issues are driver related with the new Aqara sensors. Have you tried one of the community drivers? You might want to try a custom driver ([RELEASE] Aqara / Xiaomi Motion Sensors driver) to see if that works.

Ah, thanks. Yes, now when I look I can see that all of the pulgs except two are connected through the Hue hub. Do you use Hue smartplugs? Do you have them connected directly to the Hubitat hub?

Yes, I have been searching RTCGQ01LM and confusingly enough it seems half of the references are for a motion sensor and half for a temperature/humidity sensor, both with the same name. The driver I have found so far is the one I am using since before. If I cannot find a working driver I'll probably just replace them with the version that works.

Thanks for your thoughs and advise!