Sensor to tell me when something looses power

If you have another outlet available in that outlet, this is a lot easier now thanks to a recent update. You can use theHubduino project to connect a $5 ESP8266 board to the other outlet via a simple USB wall-wart. New functionality with those devices has built in presence detection. So, when the power fails, the board fails to check-in with the hub on it's regular schedule and the driver changes the board to "Not Present". No special wiring necessary. No battery powered devices necessary. You will get a report to Hubitat within the time of your configurable timeout when the power fails for that circuit.

3 Likes

Oh, I think there's a better way to do it. How about this? It takes 2 rules, but maybe is easier to understand?

Rule A:

1. run rule "lostPower" delay 10s (cancel)
  2. refresh()
  3. wait for event energyUpdate
  4. cancel delayed actions

Rule lostPower:

1. Do actions you want on loss of power
  2. etc

If the 2nd rule runs (lostPower) in my example is means the refresh() never returned anything. Rule A runs on a scheduled trigger, and not the wait has no timeout. Waits are canceled when the rule is run again. (per the docs)

This is an old thread, but I thought I would contribute a new idea that is super easy to do: I use a Homeseer HS-FS100 with the light sensor (you can optionally use it as a water sensor with different cable). My GFI outlet in my garage has a light on it and I stick the sensor onto that. As the senor is battery operated it happily tells me when my Christmas lights have tripped.
The sensor also has a buzzer built in to notify me.

I also use the same sensor on my clothes washer and dryer to notify me when the cycles are done - way more reliable that my former wink motion sensors which triggered every time a nearby door opened, or when the door on the washer/dryer opened.

2 Likes

Hi. Are you sharing this RM code like a good little open-source idealist, or is it proprietary (boo!), or have you already posted it and I am just not seeing it?
I am trying to get control of my fridge and this sounds like a good start. Thank you!
Reed McHeyser
reedplay@gmail.com

I don’t see any indication that he’s using RM. Sounds like he’s using the built-in ‘Notifications’ App.

This is a great solution for monitoring power loss. This Ring range extender has a built in battery that can notify you when the power switches from the wall (mains) to it's internal battery. Props to the developers who created the drivers for it.

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Ring-Alarm-Range-Extender/dp/B07ZB2VP4K/ref=dp_ob_title_def