Sengled vs ST contact sensor

I have been setting up some closet lighting to gain a higher WAF. I have been using Sengled and ST contact sensors as triggers. It seems that the Sengled sensors trigger the lighting much faster than the ST ones (lights on before door is fully opened instead of 1 second after). I have tried switching drivers and it seems the Sengled report faster.

Has anyone else seen this, or do I just have a slow ST sensor?

EDIT: I realized we had one ST sensor left, so let's setup a head-to-head. Placing the extra ST contact sensor a few feet lower then the Sengled one (on the same door), we did 3 open/close test events.

Sengled

ST

Looks like Sengled is around .25 second faster.

Since all contact sensors are not created equally, does anyone know how the Iris contact sensors stack up?

I have 5 Iris contact sensors (second gen) and they seem to be faster than my SmartThings sensor. I haven’t had the urge to time them though. It could be up to the device they choose to route through.

I have 3 Sengled sensors and all of them just freeze at some point. Even thought he ST are a bit slower, I have had much more success with them. I have tried everthing, but at times they just stop working and I have to remove the battery to get it to reset.

1 Like

Do you still his this issue? I just bought some sengled and am loving them so far, but curious what to watch out for.

Yeah, still every couple of months I have an issue. I have mainly switched all of them now to the Samsung Multi sensors. I only have 1 still in the system.

Just curious @TechMedX In your real-world experience is the .25s difference in the logs that noticeable? Seems different than the "1 second after" difference that you noted at the start of your post.

I do get the desire for speed...the most embarrassing thing for me w/my wife recently was that she noticed that the "dumb" motion light switch in the garage is faster (it's pretty much instantaneous) than any smart motion/light automation we have in the house. :open_mouth: Oops...

And is it bad that my first thought was that I should replace the super fast old/dumb motion light switch w/a motion sensor and smart switch so it's the same speed as everything else? :wink:

Bummer. So far I'm finding the 2 closets where I have sengled are much much faster than the one where I have the ST multi-sensor. Hmm..

Yes and no. Knowing that HE execution times themselves very, the added delay can sometimes be VERY noticeable. On a "good day" I can tell, but it's not supper bad. On a bad day it leaves you wondering for a second. My wife gets a bit more anxious about it than I.

The one 'closet' we see it most on is a kitchen pantry. We open it often when cooking and snacks. It's a very dark closet so the light is missed when not on as soon as the door opens. It happens enough that I will eventually replace it for her (still making platform choices so not much is changing right now).

In contrast my coat closet turns on so fast I use to look under it to make sure it was really going off. It's that fast.

Both closets are turning on the same Sengled LED strip, and similarly close to the hub, so it should be a 'fair fight'.

1 Like

I think this will always be true, because the “dumb” motion light switch doesn’t involve a radio and hub.

1 Like

Yup...that's clear.

But to my wife it's faster because it doesn't involve me. :wink:

Do the Sengled contact sensors measure temperature or vibration?

Neither as far as I know - the driver shows up as "Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor (no temp)". I have not had any trouble with these - only using 2. One on a window and the other as a valve check sensor for my water main lever. Both have been working for a year or so first on a C-4 now on a C-5.

I really wish temp was consistently included w/contact and motion sensors...seems simple to include even on small devices (Iris motion sensors, Visonic contact sensors). Assume it's cost-reducing behind removing that feature, but it means "device clutter" and overall costs increase when you need two devices to get what you used to get w/one.

OK, minor rant done, and I feel a little better now. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.