Sengled E21-N1EA RGB zigbee bulb

Yeah the issue is that the Sengled bulbs don't repeat so there is no bulb to bulb transmission, they are going directly to the hub (or nearest mains powered repeater) Not repeating with these types of bulbs is a good thing but the down side is you do need more repeaters in the mesh (the upside of that is you can't have too many repeaters!)

1 Like

Built out my active routers using Third Reality plugs within a few feet of the front of the house but struggled to get the Sengled bulbs to properly initialize. In every case they appeared to be joined to the mesh but would not respond to any commands. As a last resort I did what I was NOT supposed to do and added each bulb individually directly to the hub. When I tested them they responded correctly. When I relocated them to the front of the house (probably through at least 3 routers) they also responded correctly. So weird!

Not sure I understand this bit.. can you clarify?

I think the only issues I've ever had with relocating things has been Z-Wave which is a little more particular about it's routing and even then for the most part it will sort itself out over time. Zigbee's mesh is a lot more dynamic so wouldn't anticipate any issues by doing this.

Maybe you had a device behaving oddly during pairing that was getting in the way dunno.. but glad things are working. I have a bunch of these in table lamps around the house.

1 Like

I understood that it was a "best practice" to have the device you were adding in its final location so it would connect with the strongest routers relative to its position. I got this impression from documentation "How to build a solid Zigbee Mesh", where it specifically says "it is recommended to always pair your devices in their final, intended location". However as I noted the bulb initialization must have been imperfect when passed along too many routers or perhaps a compatibility issue with the signal or timing as passed along to the Sengled bulb. At any rate I thought that even if I got them to initialize properly they would take a while to "find" the new local router but I found it responded pretty much right away in the new location. So much for following instructions. I was one step away from just returning them when I decided to try the hub pairing first which seems to have fixed the initialization issue.

1 Like

Yeah that's right of course it's been a while since I read thru that doc - thanks.

In practice I've found that Zigbee devices are very relocatable so would not hesitate to move closer to the hub for pairing if I had to. Of course there are many factors involved like how many repeaters, what type of devices and what channel you are using etc.

2 Likes

I've got 2 of these and zero luck. Is there a new new firmware out there?

They both pair, and then lock up. No response no matter what driver is chose. Have tried resetting bulb without removing and removing and re-adding with the same results.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Urppp.. That's a tough one, 10 ft should be good unless you have some wacky interference going on. You don't happen to have a Sengled hub anywhere do you? You could try pairing with that an updating the firmware. Mine came bundled with the bulbs from an old Sengled order. I've used it in the past to update the firmware.

You sure they are Zigbee? The WiFi ones sometimes look suspiciously like the Zigbee ones.

You sure they are Zigbee?
Ya I have fallen for that before (see other posts here), but this time I was sure to check. PN supports this and zigbee logo right on the side.

Unfortunately no Sengled Hub. I'm open to buying one if we thought it would fix the issue (I think they are pretty inexpensive?). I have quiet a few zigbee devices so wondering if pushing the sengled bulbs on to it's own hub might clean things up a bit? Do I still retain full hubitat control?

Also wondering if this 'new new' firmware is in the dev cue for a future hubitat version? I am on the latest as of yesterday.

I'm not sure buying a hub would fix the issue so I probably wouldn't do that. Do you have another hub like Hue you could pair the bulbs to to see if they actually work?

I have 8 Sengled Color+ bulbs (BR30s) in my den and 8 of the E21-N1EAs in some table lamps and in a bedroom fixture. Have not experienced this issue. I do keep my Zigbee and Z-Wave devices on separate hubs (C5 - Zigbee, C7 Z-Wave) but that was really just an attempt to keep the overhead on both hubs as low as possible not for any specific protocol reason. I believe the Zigbee radios in the C5/C7 are the same.

Do you know what firmware updates have been pushed to the sengled leds? what changes? i’ve looked and sengled does not seem to publish a change log?
i have the element classics and don’t have a sengled hub. kinda courteous if i should bother getting one to update firmware? ebay had them for under $20, worth it?

Here's a quick summary of my software builds but dunno if that will help any..

model: E11-N1EA / softwareBuild: 00000047
model: E12-N1E / softwareBuild: 0000001E
model: E21-N1EA / softwareBuild: 00000026

Also don't remember exactly which bulbs I updated... :person_shrugging:

If you decide you need one (c/w some other bits :slight_smile: ).

With Deal:$27.99

wow! i guess that’s a killer deal!

Ya looks like I am on the same build for these E21s...

• endpointId: 01
  • model: E21-N1EA
  • application: 26
  • firmwareMT: 1160-80CC-00000026
  • softwareBuild: 00000026
  • manufacturer: sengled

That is a screaming deal. In Canada same kit is ~$75. The hub alone is $33 which I am not against if it's clear that a firmware change will fix this, but that doesn't seem to be evident yet.

Is there a formal process to let Hubitat know when a particular bulb isn't working. Now I look at the device list it turns out the E21 isn't in the list. I was sure it was before buying them, but not it seems I was wrong. It appears to be working for some. Any way to put in requests for it to be added?

Disclaimer: I do not work for Hubitat, Inc.

I think they'd need one to test.. However the bulbs do seem to pair okay so I don't think that is the issue. I've been running mine for 2 years or so.

What channel is your Zigbee set to? Mine is 15. You can check in the Settings/Zigbee Details section.

I'm on zigbee channel 20. Is that significant?

I am getting a bit frustrated. In trying to fix this issue I upgraded to the most recent hub firmware update, and now I have a bunch of wacky things going on. Hub thinks i'm in away mode all the time, many motion sensors not working, bulbs not turning connecting. And this is after letting the mesh settle for a couple of days. Ug.

Last time I had issues with multiple devices after about 15 hours of trouble shooting (and deflecting threats from the admiral to turf automation) it turned out it was the hub zigbee module that failed. Starting to wonder if we have a similar situation this time????

Did you check out your child/route info report:

http://[your hub ip address]/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

It doesn't show everything.. but may provide some insights.

Also other ideas:

@erktrek thanks for staying with this thread.

I have checked my child/route report a couple of times, but other than noticing the color bulbs never showed up on it at all, I'm not sure what to get from it. See details below.

I will consider a soft reset as an option. Thanks for the suggestion. Some wacky stuff going on.

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [childCount=1, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=65535]

Child Data
child:[Office Bulb 4, 23F0, type:EMBER_END_DEVICE]

Neighbor Table Entry
[Office Bulb 3, 0F03], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Kitchen Nook Bulb 2, 1BB1], LQI:252, age:4, inCost:3, outCost:7
[Entry 1, 4EC2], LQI:242, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Kitchen Bulb 4, 5076], LQI:235, age:5, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Entry 2, 56DF], LQI:255, age:2, inCost:1, outCost:0
[Wise Camera Outlet, 5DA5], LQI:251, age:3, inCost:3, outCost:7
[Kitchen Nook Bulb 1, 8D66], LQI:233, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Sonoff Plug 1, 930B], LQI:251, age:4, inCost:3, outCost:1
[Deck Patio Light String, 95FC], LQI:233, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Office Bulb 2, AC9E], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Kitchen Bulb 2, ACF4], LQI:253, age:4, inCost:3, outCost:3
[Family Room 2, B1A6], LQI:247, age:4, inCost:3, outCost:7
[Family Room 1, C00E], LQI:245, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Kitchen Bulb 1, C989], LQI:244, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Kitchen Bulb 3, D56E], LQI:239, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Sonoff Plug 2, EF6E], LQI:252, age:4, inCost:3, outCost:0

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Wise Camera Outlet, 5DA5] via [Wise Camera Outlet, 5DA5]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Office Bulb 2, AC9E] via [Office Bulb 2, AC9E]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Deck Patio Light String, 95FC] via [Deck Patio Light String, 95FC]
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Sonoff Plug 2, EF6E] via [Wise Camera Outlet, 5DA5]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Office Motion Sensor, 3E96] via [Office Bulb 2, AC9E]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Kitchen Nook Bulb 1, 8D66] via [null, 5B83]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Storage Room, A72F] via [Entry 1, 4EC2]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Office Bulb 1, FAB6] via [Office Bulb 2, AC9E]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Kitchen Bulb 3, D56E] via [Sonoff Plug 1, 930B]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Kitchen Bulb 4, 5076] via [Office Bulb 2, AC9E]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Family Room 1, C00E] via [Family Room 2, B1A6]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Deck 3, 7DDE] via [Office Bulb 2, AC9E]
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Sonoff Plug 1, 930B] via [Family Room 2, B1A6]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Deck 1, 0912] via [null, 4785]

1 Like

No worries - not sure I can help but happy to work through this with you.

Also look at the Zigbee logs..
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Zigbee_Logs