Sendmail - Send email and text notifications, (notification device) no local server needed

Ok so give me my options? We are about to FINALLY get fiber internet here at home and I was playing with the idea of hosting my sites on my own server..... Till then????

Is anyone using SMTP2GO? I saw someone recommend them for non SSL connection and I'm getting nowhere with it. CS keeps saying SSL even though I'm telling him I can't.

i signed up for a free act on smtp2go but agian their severs seem to be screwed up.. the auth command to login is not working and it wont accept an email with out loggin in..

ie
220 mail.smtp2go.com ESMTP Exim 4.94.2-S2G Tue, 11 May 2021 21:56:35 +0000
helo
250 mail.smtp2go.com Hello [96.58.130.169]
auth plain
503 AUTH command used when not advertised
auth login
503 AUTH command used when not advertised

1 Like

same issue on port 587.. here is what it says if you try to send an email without authenticating /ie logging in.. but the auth command to login is not working.

550 relay access denied - please authenticate

1 Like

Ok more information.

Did some further testing on smtp2go and apparently it requires the EHLO command and is misconfigured so the std HELO greeting command does NOT work.

I modified the device handler to have an option to use EHLO and this required some additional code to skip the informational messages that are returned following that.

In a nutshell see the pic below these are the options that are required to make it work with smtp2go.com

It also requires that you use authentication and put the username and password info in BASE64 encodiing.. The device handler/code does not code it for you so use:

to encode your username and password for smtp2go.com or others before inserting into the relavent fields.

I tested and both ports 25 and 587 work..

New version 4.0 available on the github..
Should not break any existing usage but keep me informed if it does as there were some substantial code changes.

larry

6 Likes

You are diligent and very helpful dev...thanks very much for all of us. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for this script. I successfully installed and configured it. I am able to get notifications via email.

Is it possible to pass variables to the body of the notification? For example, would it be possible to pass the current date/time or a device status? For example, for motion triggers, could you send the motion trigger time? Or for a door lock trigger, can you include the lock/unlock status?

Thanks in advance!

that is done via the rule or app that is using the notification device to send the email.. not the device itself.. you can send whatever body you like

2 Likes

Thanks. I found the settings and updated my rule to include date and time of the event.

1 Like

Tried to install and got an error...

Did you try to install it as an app? This is installed as a driver.

1 Like

Yep. RTFM - totally my fault!

1 Like

Ask me how I knew what it was...I might have done this once or twice myself. :wink:

2 Likes

Has anyone used this using outlook as the mail server?

Yes, that’s what I use, but via my own mail relay on a Synolgy Nas.

2 Likes

@kahn-hubitat ...

I'm sending texts from a couple apps and it's getting cut off. I guess I never tried to send messages as long as what I'm sending. Just wanted to confirm that is expected...cut-off is consistenly at 140 characters/spaces rather than 160.

Example:

These doors and windows are still open.Contacts: Door family room slider, Garage Door, Lock Living Rm Slider South, Door Dryer, Window Offic

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for checking - it's as you suggested, Verizon must be cutting it off, the whole message is in the logs. I get longer texts so VZW must not be treating email>text the way they treat "real" texts.

I was testing an outlier case, so I don't think it will be an issue in normal use. :slight_smile:

Just a heads up on something that popped up after a year of using one of our HE emailing community apps with my cell provider.

The ever increasing "intelligence" of SPAM filtering can put the kabash on what you're doing IF:

.....the email account name you are doing the SMTP email send FROM to yourcellphone#@yourcellprovider.xxx happens to be "too generic (abused) for their liking".

For example, email from such email addresses as: info@, admin@, relay@ might suddenly be getting dumped by overambitious filtering on their end.

And they won't make exceptions, even after talking to someone at a Tech Level that can see exactly why your emails are getting blocked, ...thanks T-Mobile.

Haven't seen that yet on VZW...I'm using an ISP email address so it looks "normal" hopefully, and won't get tagged. Thanks for the info.