Sendmail - Send email and text notifications, (notification device) no local server needed

Works perfectly for me too via my Synology mail relay server.

2 Likes

Anybody able to get this work to send via gmail with 2 factor authentication (I can't seem to get it to work, so maybe its just not able to do this?).

it will never work with gmail even without 2 factor.. gmail requires encryption which as mentioned multiple times is not supported in the app or i believe in hubitat as a whole. There are no encyprted socket classes that i know of currently in hubitat.

1 Like

Best email to use w/this is usually your ISP email address, AKA I'm w/Spectrum and am using my Spectrum email address, which I conveniently never used to use, and now only use for this service. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm doing this with Node-red. I had to create an app specific password (Google Account -> Security->Signing into Google). Not sure if that approach will work with HE.

2 Likes

This integration works (but it requires something external that runs nodejs and sendmail):

Following all the Telnet discussion that arose in this thread I'm wondering if anything in this 2.2.6 update has, or can have, a beneficial impact on the notification/msging apps we love.

2.2.6 updates

//Telnet capability.telnet
add command sendMsg(String message)
add attribute networkStatus ["online", "offline"]

i don't think it will effect it.. for instance the network status is not really that usefull for the app. it would be usefull for an app that stays connected like a normal telnet session, but not for just connecting sending the mail and disconnecting.. Especially when there can be more instances than one at a time running. Not sure about the sendMsg as there is already a sendmessage implemented in the code. I may play with that and try to convert over to the new sendmsg command.

However, i just now in the last hour updated my two hubs so havent had time to look into it.

after further research ya i believe the sendmsg is not a api call but a command that appears on the dashboard for a device with telnet capability ..it now appears on the device panel.. actually is more confusing for this integration as users may confuse it to the deviceNotification command which sends a test message.. wish it wasnt there at all.

the new attribute and command appear to be designed for a telnet session to a device which obviously is left in the connected or open state such as a roku or tv remote etc. It allows you to see if you are currently connected and send a new command from the device panel..

1 Like

i do notice a new warning on every email etc. about the telnet session disconnected.. i dont know if there is a way to disable that.. annoying

1 Like

new version 3.6 , slight improvements in error case handling,.

1 Like

Ok before I go messing with my hub, can you explain how to install/use this? I see Webcore is no longer allowing SMS so I need to set up an alternate way for my alarm notifications. Thank you! Bob

Instructions are in the first post of this thread. If you have Hubitat Package Manager installed, click the Install button in HPM, search keyword sendmail, follow instructions. If you don’t have HPM installed, follow the instructions in HPM thread to install it first.

Here is documentation on how to install a custom app:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Install_Custom_Apps

And welcome to the Hubitat community!

1 Like

Ok, I got it installed and I'm trying to use it with Webcore but I can't figure it out. Will it work with Webcore?

You are going to have to get help from WebCoRE experts on that. I’ve never used WebCoRE, only Rule Engine. @nh.schottfam may be able to help. But, really, you might have better luck if you posted this request in the WebCoRE thread, because it’s not a sendmail issue.

1 Like

webcore should work with any device that publishes commands (for sending commands)

webcore can read attributes from devices.

So I see no issues webcore would have with this driver, if the driver is otherwise working.

Also webcore has built in email with webcore servers also.

1 Like

So I have it set up and it hangs on connecting ! can connect to the server via telnet and it gives me "online" with the same settings so I'm not sure what's going on.

"online" is not a valid mail server response.. not sure what you are connecting to on port 465 but it is not an smtp mail server.

1 Like

as mentioned previously it looks like 465 is for smtps ie secure smtp using ssl and it is not supported.

try port 25 .. not sure it will allow you to usea it but at least the server is answering

220-chi-node1.websitehostserver.net ESMTP Exim 4.94 #2 Mon, 03 May 2021 17:23:27 -0500
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.

So what you posted is telling me that it isn't going to work? I tried looking for their smtp port but couldn't find it. I found a lot of ports mentioned and none worked 993, 995, 2096, 2095, 2083..... Anyone willing to try I can set up an email account for you to play with. GreenGeeks is the host if that helps too. I also tried setting up my Synology Drive as I saw someone do somewhere and that didn't work either. I swear I am usually quite good at tech but man this is killing me. LOL!

what happened when you tried port 25 with authenticaltion..