Selecting Variables to modify

Probably missing something here but when I select Set Mod, Variables or File, Run Custom Action I cannot see the Action for Modify Variable.

I have a variable if it changes gets pushed to iPhones, iPads , TV screens etc and displays around the house.

When variable changes it gets pushed out.

But I can no longer find how to modify the variable.

Not sure you're missing anything... I see this in a rule where I am updating global variables already...

Maybe you need to associate them in some way with the rule... Can't remember...

RM Legacy that is....

Looks like you might need to create the variables in this section of the main rule screen for the option to appear... Create Local Variables?

Thanks - I have loads of variables defined.

But you get an Option Set Variable, I don't :frowning:

I use variables all the time.

What version are you running I am running 2.2.8

I am also running 2.2.8 on a C-4, currently 2.2.8.147.

To try and start from a simple starting point, when I try to create a rule in RM legacy I see this screen offering me the option to create new variables, do you see something similar?

I have figured it out... I think.

The new Rule Engine when it uses Variable, it means Hub Variable NOT Global Variable, so it appears the latest update dropped access to the Global variables :frowning:

Will require a lot of updating and re-writing rules :frowning:

I'd like your post for having solved the mystery, but hopefully your option for re-writing isn't entirely correct... Probably worth searching for others that have tackled that since the relese. My understanding is you should still be able to access / create legacy rules, can you can not do that, or have you converted the rule(s) you care about to RM5?

Re-write because I use variables to store messages etc -

Quite correct don't have to rewrite if I keep everything in the Legacy including new Rules, Having the same Variables defined in Global AND Hub will lead to confusion and will be a nightmare to synchronise.

I need to think how I am going to have to migrate all variables and all the Legacy Rules that use them across to Hub Variables and rewrite rules.

It makes sense to use Hub Vars going forward, I just need to spend some time working out how to do it all.

1 Like

Sounds like a process for transitioning would be useful, if one hasn't been written yet... Perhaps someone has posted there approach... If not, you might pave the way for others....

I use Global Variables for tracking heating demand in every room of the house, changing to Hub Variables should speed it up and reduce CPU loading, so the right thing to do.

I also use Global Variables for standardised Heating Alerts, Security Alerts, etc etc to push out messages to the right devices, so I don't have to add that to everything that needs to send out a message.

Not a problem , will just need to re-think the v4 version of the Heating System I have been working on.

Thanks for helping out!!

1 Like

Uggh found a glitch

I was replicating the Legacy Rule into R5

The Rule Triggered on Variable %ALERT_MESSAGE% changed and would then take message and send to Alert devices as a message.

Looks like TRIGGER on Variable change NOT supported :frowning:

Damn this quick addition I was making is getting harder and harder under R5

This might be what you are after....

Ok maybe, there is a Connector (device (virtual)) that stores text

Will go and try and set one up

1 Like