Security system

Adt

Unfortunately that doesn't reveal very much because ADT provides re-branded security systems. It's like Sears which sells Kenmore branded appliances that are actually manufactured by others (such as Whirlpool).

Some manufacturers that come to mind are DSC, ELK, GE Security, Napco, Paradox, etc. Unless you can identify the actual brand and model and determine if they (or someone else) offers a suitable interface, then you may need to replace it outright.

You may also consider Envisalink which access DSC panels.
https://community.hubitat.com/t/envisalink-integration-application-and-connection-driver/3123

1 Like

But they are just wired sensors. You can ditch the control panel all together and just interface the sensors directly to Hubitat through another method. If you interface to ADT, it is likely that you won't get use of motion sensors when the system is disarmed.

There are many possibilities, including selling the house and moving elsewhere. Extreme, but possible. I wouldn't "ditch" the security panel if I knew a suitable interface was available, be it from the panel's manufacturer or someone else. At the moment, it's all speculation because all we know about the panel is "ADT". :man_shrugging:

If you interface to ADT, it is likely that you won't get use of motion sensors when the system is disarmed.

You appear to have more knowledge than I do about the security panel ADT installed in DLHenderson889's home. So which brand and model is it?

As a point of reference, my home automation system has worked with an ELK M1 security panel since 2008 (via a driver I created). All of its functionality remains accessible (including motion sensors) even when the panel is disarmed.

There’s yet another option. I like a separate alarm system from my hub, and I’m really liking the Ring Alarm system.

This community integration works incredibly well, but do heed the warnings.

1 Like

I've shared my thoughts a few times before, but I personally would stick with a standalone security system. I previously used HSM + zwave/zigbee sensors until we bought our house, when I installed a DSC system (mix of wired and wireless sensors) + Envisalink. It has worked flawlessly since April, the opposite of my experience with HSM.

I still use HSM to control arming/disarming and notifications, but when HE is down or frozen, the DSC system will always work properly.

1 Like

I will just say that the OP doesn't ask about an alarm panel interface or a security system. He asks about converting the sensors. Shouldn't we try and answer that question rather than tell him that we know better what he should want to do?

+1

I started automating my home in 2006 and, based on personal experience, chose to build a system that allows the three pillars, security, HVAC, and lighting, to function independently of the home automation controller. The home automation adds functionality to the three pillars as opposed to attempting to replace them. This strategy, of avoiding a single point of failure, helps create a more robust and resilient system.

What that means is that if my home automation server is inoperative, lighting, heating/cooling, and security continue to function normally. The thermostat still works according to its schedule, the security system still monitors all sensors and reports intrusions, and the lighting system's scenes (like turning all interior lights on/off) are still accessible albeit not according to any schedule.

In other words, it simply reverts to being a non-automated home. In contrast, if everything is centralized in a single controller, when it is offline the thermostat scheduling may become unavailable, security sensors may cease to be monitored, and lighting scenes may be inaccessible. So it has the potential to not simply revert to a non-automated home but to an unheated, unsecured home.

3 Likes

Not quite -- OP stated that they do have a security system. My suggestion was to consider using Envisalink and keeping that system (or replacing the controller if they are unable to enter the programming modes on the current system.) I made this suggestion after too many frustrations with HSM acting alone. My suggestion is an alternative to something like konnected -- but in my opinion, one that's favorable.

Edit: I should also say that while I do have alarm keypads, I installed the primary keypad in our pantry closet (HSM controls arming/disarming). The only time we have to touch the keypad is when HE is feeling grumpy and needs a reboot :slight_smile:

That's true but then the OP follows that up with:

My interpretation is that the desire is preserve the existing wired devices but, through some means, make them available to Hubitat. The shorthand used was "convert these existing sensors to smart devices".

If one were to interpret that literally, namely physically convert wired sensors into 'smart devices', then there's no economical, let alone practical, route to that end. You would need to replace them and that choice would open the discussion to new options (and more decisions).

1 Like

The Ring integration allows this too. Although I can easily switch things back, I have eliminated needing to have two sensors at each door, as an example, by using the community integration for Ring Alarm. The sensors are simultaneously available for the Ring Alarm system and HE, all local without having to try to do a primary/secondary Z-Wave controller scenario.

It was very simple to setup and the integration was a breeze to get configured. I have full control over the Ring Alarm hub from HE, as well as full status of the Ring hub and it’s sensors. The only thing I cannot control is the native functionality of the Dome siren I have paired with the Ring Alarm hub.

This is my circumstance as well and I've been trying to figure out what to do. I have a Honeywell Vista 20p with Evisalink. So far konnected and AlarmDecoder are the only two options I've found. I don't have much desire to have to wire up two konnected expansion boards to get all 13 zones so I've been considering the AlarmDecoder. Other than it being out of stock for some time I'm also not crazy of introducing another device such as an rpi I need to manage. I was hoping for a driver to link to the Envisalink but it so far only exists for DSC panels. No one has done this for Honeywell panels without the need of a middleman device which starts to become less attractive.

The Envisalink provides your Vista 20p with an Ethernet connection and an API (Application Programming Interface). That means the Vista 20p becomes a network-facing device with a means to monitor and control it.

Have you tried the existing envisalink integration? Or does it lack functionality provided by konnected and AlarmDecoder?

I am a big konnected fan, but I must admit that my HE is more about monitoring than home automation. I only have contact sensors.

If you just want some of your contact sensors integrated with HE, you could very likely just buy a zwave contact switch that allows external wiring. I would check the resistance first to ensure minimal resistance. If the switches are “normally closed” you can daisy chain several to one sensor. If “normally open”, wire them in parallel to a sensor. While I do not do this with my security sensors, I bypassed the transformer and wired my doorbell to a contact sensor and have been pleased with it (ecolink).

@123
I've seen that konnected will provide soon a small board to merge them all: a wired existing security panel and hubitat.

Am I wrong ?

The device tackles the challenge from a different direction. Whereas something like an Envisalink taps into the security panel's bus, and gains visibility like an attached keypad, Konnected's new product connects to each physical zone (and monitors it).

For a security panel that offers no native or third-party means to connect to its bus, you're not left with many options other than to do what Konnected is doing and tap directly into each zone.

However, if a security panel does offer a native, or third-party, device that connects directly to its bus, it allows for a neater and simpler installation. Like a keypad, it gains full access and visibility to the security panel's operations (with a lot less wiring connections and adjustments).

EDIT
I overlooked to mention that Konnected's new interface device fills a niche: frugal home automation enthusiasts who own a security panel with just a handful of zones. You'd be hard-pressed to find a cheaper solution. For a security panel with many zones, the number of required Konnected interface boards (and the amount of wiring needed) is liable to make the inside of the enclosure very, very cramped (i.e. the proverbial rat's nest).

This integration only works with DSC panels and not with Honeywell panels, which is what I have. No one has developed an integration for the Honeywell version yet. I wish there was one because you're right, the Envisalink offers exactly what one would need to make it happen. Unfortunately I am not a coder so this is beyond my abilities.

For this reason I'm not really interested in this option or wiring in some other contact sensors.

As noted above, I have no interest in wiring in any more devices to my panels. It's already a mess having expanded the number of zones from the default of the panel and nothing else will fit in the box not to mention on the screw terminals. I also have more than just contact sensors I would like to monitor and create rules for. Ideally someone will figure out a driver for the Honeywell panels. I might end up giving in to the AlarmDecoder in the mean time to get something going but I'm of the mindset to try and keep things as simple as possible with as few devices as possible to minimize points of failure and what I have to manage. I only have so much time to dedicate to this stuff.