Security System Setup

Unfortunately no. You can get live video from Ring in Alexa devices, though.

I believe there's a trial period for saving the videos, but you have to have a paid plan to have cloud storage of videos after that.

There are a couple ways to make this work, yes. Depending on your IP cameras and other details of your setup, it can take a little or a lot of work.

For the Ring cameras?

Ah I misread. I was referring to standard IP cameras, my bad.

You will be ripped off in a huge way if you pay $7k for a security system.

If you can install home automation, you can install a security system. I highly recommend the QolSys IQ2+ panel. You don't need anything wired except for the power supply. Use PowerG sensors. They have great range, probably the best encryption you're going to find for alarm sensors and they're no more expensive than most other alarm devices.

A system as you described, except for the cameras, should cost you under $1000, you could install it yourself in an afternoon and you would have as good a system as any professional would install.

In a previous life I used to install security systems. It was a whole different ballgame when things were hard wired. Installation costs could and often did exceed the cost of the equipment. That's no longer the case, and wireless alarm sensors are very reliable. Vista panels are pretty good but the QolSys is arguably the best and most full featured alarm panel out there today.

If you decide to go that route, I've written a driver for HE that receives events for alarm sensors and arming status from the QolSys panel and also allows you to arm and disarm it via HE if you want. It needs some polishing before I publish it but works great.

2 Likes

Tell me more about the “little work” version for IP cameras please? Any recommendations for cameras and/or setup? I’m not glued to ring just yet. Still considering all my options.